1. Each building site is zoned for certain use or uses. A building site may not be diminished in area and still remain a legal building site.
2. No building, fence, wall, sidewalk, steps, awning, tent, pole, pool or structure shall be erected, altered or maintained without the approval of Palos Verdes Homes Association and Palos Verdes Art Jury. No contour may be changed, and no bill boards or signs of any kind for any use may be displayed without such approval. No exterior painting may be done without approval of the color scheme. In some districts a minimum amount of planting is required not later than 90 days after completion of the building.
3. Attention is directed to the words "altered or maintained." A property with unapproved additions, windows, doors, alterations or painting ceases to be in compliance. Some owners have experienced inconvenience and expense when selling their property or applying for a loan. Some have been required to remove an addition or repaint a building. Had they made the improvements in accordance with the Protective Restrictions no inconvenience would have occurred.
4. The keeping of animals and poultry, except dogs and cats, is prohibited.
5. All the provisions of the Protective Restrictions have been catalogued as to each building site, and a telephone call or a visit to the office is all that is needed to obtain complete information.
PALOS VERDES ART JURY
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR SUBMITTING PLANS FOR APPROVAL
1. Information on specific protective restrictions, etc., for any particular building site may be obtained by calling Palos Verdes Home Association offices, (310) 373-6721.
2. Plans may be filed for consideration of the Art Jury on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday during the hours of 8:30 to 5:00. The required fee shall be paid at the time of filing of plans.
3. A set of plans shall include a plot plan, floor plan, foundation plan, roof plan and all elevations; also, large scale details of eave, rake, doors, windows and all exterior architectural features. Included with plans should be colored photographs showing the relationship of the site with adjacent building sites and/or structures, the street(s), and photos of the entire house if an addition. The plot shall be based on a survey made by a licensed surveyor or registered civil engineer not more than two (2) years prior to the time of submission of plans. The survey shall include to the centerline of the street and to fifteen (15) feet outside the rear and side lot lines; it shall show existing contours at one-foot intervals, elevations at proper locations of top of street curb or edge of street pavement, if there is no curb; location and elevation of any and all walls, curbs, pavement, buildings or structures within fifteen (15) feet of the property to be improved. The plot plan shall show the location of all improvements proposed, including building, walls, fences, driveways, walks, and trash yard areas, sanitary sewer connection, finish floor grades, existing and finish contours at one (I) foot intervals. The plot plan scale shall be 1/8" to 1' unless the area of the site is too large for this scale to be practicable.
All permanent bench marks shall be shown.
Preliminary studies are invited.
Plans taken from the Art Jury offices for corrections shall be returned with subsequent plan submissions.
4. In single family dwelling use zones, not more than 30 percent of the area of the building site may be covered with the building footprint.
5. Minimum front setbacks, rear yard and side yard setbacks must be observed.
Be sure to come into our office where someone will be glad to help you with all the set back requirements.
6. Changes desired in the exterior architecture or grading plan during construction shall be submitted to the Art Jury and approved before the work of making such changes is started.
7. Samples of all exterior colors shall be submitted to the Art Jury for approval before final colors are applied. Colors shall be generally light in tone. All exterior plaster surfaces shall be painted. Roofing material samples shall be presented for review before the material is purchased.
8. The owner, or authorized agent, shall request a framing inspection, if required during construction, and a final inspection upon completion of the project.
The Palos Verdes Homes Association (including Palos Verdes Art Jury) is a California non-profit corporation. Members of this corporation shall be all who hold legal title of record to any building site in the city of Palos Verdes Estates and the original Miraleste area. For reasons of mutual convenience, the offices of the Association are located close to the offices of the City of Palos Verdes Estates on the second floor of the City Hall building. It is recommended that persons contemplating improvements or alterations come to the office where one will find friendly, helpful people on duty at all times during business hours.
No appointment is necessary and there is no charge for consultation.
It is believed that under fair, reasonable and uniform administration, the Protective Restrictions are beneficial to all.
Palos Verdes Homes Association
Palos Verdes Art Jury
320 Palos Verdes Dr., West
Post Office Box 188
Palos Verdes Estates, California 90274
Homes Assoc. Telephone: (310) 373-6721
Palos Verdes City Hall
340 Palos Verdes Dr., West
Post Office Box 1086
Palos Verdes Estates, California 90274
City Offices Telephone: (310) 378-0383
Return to Main