Discouraging Door to Door Solicitors
The City frequently receives complaints about door-to door solicitors. Although this is a nuisance for some residents, the City cannot prohibit this activity. However, the City does have an ordinance that imposes certain restrictions. For example, solicitors can operate only between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., unless they are specifically invited onto the property.
To discourage solicitors from knocking on your door, you may want to post a "Do Not Disturb/No Advertisements" sign near your door. Free signs are available at City Hall, or you can request that a sign be mailed to you by emailing email@example.com or by calling (310)377-0360. We also posted a replication of the "Do Not Disturb/No Advertisements" sign that you can print and display near your door. To download the web version of the sign, click here.
Successful enforcement of this Ordinance requires a great amount of community support. Your efforts to report violations of this ordinance will aid the Sheriff’s Department and the City of Rancho Palos Verdes in identifying those organizations that are not following the requirements of the Ordinance. For more information about the Solicitation Ordinance, please contact the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Finance Department at (310) 377-0360. To report repeated violations of the Ordinance or harassment by an identified solicitor, please contact the Sheriff’s Department at (310) 539-1661. For your convenience, you may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to send a letter to discourage specific solicitors from leaving items on your property, please click here to download a form letter.
An Overview of SolicitationStandards in the City of Rancho Palos Verdes
The City Council amended its Solicitation Ordinance in 2007 to harmonize the City’s regulations with provisions of a recent decision by the United States Supreme Court and with the City’s peddling regulations. Some of the most significant aspects of the Ordinance include:
- A "Letter of Authorization" is no longer required for solicitation in the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.
- Nonprofit organizations, as defined in Section 5.28.040 of the City’s Municipal Code, will not be required to obtain a business license related to solicitation.
- All commercial solicitors, as defined in Chapter 5.28 of the City’s Municipal Code, will still be required to obtain a business license prior to solicitation.
The Ordinance states that all solicitors must abide by the standards for solicitations made in the City. These standards are enumerated in detail in the Ordinance, however, they include the following:
- Solicitors must not solicit any residences that prominently display a "Do Not Disturb/No Advertisements" sign.
- Solicitors must not "forcefully" solicit any individual who states that they do not wish to be solicited.
- Solicitors must not drop, throw, scatter, or cast any newspaper, handbill, pamphlet, circular, leaflet, or any other advertising sheet to any residential property without the express consent of the owner or occupant. All flyers or handbills must be secured to the property in such a way as to eliminate the hazards of randomly scattered litter.
- Solicitors cannot solicit before 8 a.m. or after 8 p.m., unless they are specifically invited onto the property.