This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in the hallway for public viewing. If you participate in the meeting, you should observe the following rules.
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. The City Clerk cannot accept any Request forms submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting.
The agenda is divided into several categories: Consent Calendar: These are routine items and are enacted by one motion unless a request has been received by the public, Council or staff, to discuss a particular item. If you wish to speak about any item(s) on this section of the agenda you are limited to five minutes; Public Hearings, Regular Business, City Council Reports, and City Manager Reports:
If you wish to speak about a particular item under any of these categories, and you have submitted your request to speak, the City Clerk will call you at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your comments and you must limit your remarks to the item being discussed.
If you wish to speak about something NOT on the agenda and have submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your remarks and you must limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of the City Council. This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes; no action will be taken on matters brought up under this portion of the agenda but may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff.
Please make your remarks at the podium microphone. Direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers any person(s) who commit the following acts in respect to a regular or special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
4. Any other unlawful interference with the due and orderly course of the meeting.
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
MONDAY, MARCH 11, 1996
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
FLAG SALUTE: NEXT RESOL. NO. 96-13
NEXT ORD. NO. 316
CEREMONIAL EVENT: PRESENTATION OF CEREMONIAL PLAQUE TO DEPARTING SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ANALYST VERONICA DOLLESCHEL.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. WAIVER OF READING.
RECOMMENDATION: ADOPT A MOTION TO WAIVE READING IN FULL OF ALL ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS PRESENTED AT THIS MEETING WITH CONSENT OF THE WAIVER OF READING DEEMED TO BE GIVEN BY ALL COUNCILMEMBERS AFTER THE READING OF THE TITLE.
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF FEBRUARY 20, 1996. (PURCELL)
RECOMMENDATION: APPROVE THE MINUTES.
3. REGISTER OF DEMANDS. (O'NEIL)
RECOMMENDATION: ADOPT RESOL. NO. 96- .
4. ACCEPTANCE OF A DRAINAGE EASEMENT RELATED TO THE CIVIC CENTER DRAINAGE PROJECT. (LOPEZ)
RECOMMENDATION: (1) APPROVE THE ACCEPTANCE OF A GRANT OF EASEMENT AND AGREEMENT WITH THE SALVATION ARMY FOR THE PURPOSE OF MAINTAINING A CITY STORM DRAIN FACILITY; (2) AUTHORIZE THE MAYOR AND CITY CLERK TO EXECUTE THE EASEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE CITY; AND (3) AUTHORIZE THE CITY CLERK TO FILE THE GRANT OF EASEMENT AND AGREEMENT WITH THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY RECORDER.
5. LOS ANGELES COUNTY TOURISM MARKETING ACT. (OTTO)
RECOMMENDATION: JOIN THE CITY OF REDONDO BEACH IN OPPOSING THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY TOURISM MARKETING ACT.
# # # # # # #
6. CODE AMENDMENT NO. 34 - AMENDMENTS TO TITLES 16 AND 17 OF THE MUNICIPAL CODE. (CONTINUED FROM FEBRUARY 20). (ROJAS)
RECOMMENDATION: (1) PROCEED WITH THE CONTINUED DISCUSSION OF CHAPTER 17.02 (SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS), AND THE REVIEW OF DRAFT CHAPTERS 17.12, 17.14, 17.16, 17.18, 17.20, 17.22, 17.26, 17.18, 17.32 AND 17.34 OF THE AMENDED DEVELOPMENT CODE, AS PROVIDED IN THE APPROVED REVIEW SCHEDULE; AND, (2) CONTINUE CONSIDERATION OF THE AMENDED DEVELOPMENT CODE TO MARCH 19, 1996.
7. COASTAL PERMIT NO. 77 REVISION- APPEAL; AN APPEAL OF PLANNING COMMISSION'S DECISION TO APPROVE THE REQUEST TO ALLOW THE CONTINUAL REMEDIAL GRADING WHICH WILL CONFORM TO A SPECIFIC "CONTOUR" GRADING PLAN WITHIN THE PORTUGUESE BEND BEACH CLUB. APPELLANT: LOIS LARUE. APPLICANT: PORTUGUESE BEND HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION. (de FREITAS)
RECOMMENDATION: ADOPT RESOL. NO. 96- DENYING THE APPEAL OF COASTAL PERMIT NO. 77-REVISION, THEREBY UPHOLDING THE PLANNING COMMISSION'S APPROVAL FOR THE CONTINUAL REMEDIAL GRADING PURSUANT TO A SPECIFIC GRADING PLAN WITHIN THE PORTUGUESE BEND CLUB.
8. VESTING TENTATIVE TRACT MAP NO. 50666 - REVISION "B" AND CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT NO. 163 - REVISION "B", OCEAN TRAILS, ZUCKERMAN BUILDING COMPANY AND PALOS VERDES LAND HOLDINGS COMPANY. (PETRU)
RECOMMENDATION: ADOPT RESOL. NO. 96- THEREBY MODIFYING THE APPROVED ALIGNMENT OF PASEO DEL MAR ("A" STREET/J BLUFF ROAD), AND REVISE THE CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL REGARDING SEVERAL PUBLIC TRAILS; AND, ADOPT RESOL. NO. 96- THEREBY RELOCATING THE GOLF COURSE CLUBHOUSE 80 FEET TO THE WEST OF ITS CURRENTLY APPROVED LOCATION.
9. PURCHASE OF RADAR SPEED BOARD TRAILER.(CARRYOVER FROM FEBRUARY 20.) (MATTINGLY)
RECOMMENDATION: (1) AUTHORIZE STAFF TO PURCHASE A RADAR SPEED BOARD TRAILER FOR USE BY THE CITY. (2) ADOPT RESOL. NO. 96- AMENDING RESOL. NO. 95-60, THE BUDGET APPROPRIATION FOR FISCAL YEAR 1995-96, FOR A BUDGET ADJUSTMENT FOR THE ACQUISITION OF A RADAR SPEED BOARD TRAILER.
10. TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ON BASSWOOD AVENUE. (ALLISON)
RECOMMENDATION: ADOPT RESOL. NO. 96- PROHIBITING RIGHT TURNS FROM EASTBOUND MONTEMALAGA DRIVE TO SOUTHBOUND BASSWOOD AVENUE AND PROHIBITING DIRECT VEHICULAR ACCESS FROM THE PENINSULA HIGH SCHOOL PARKING LOT TO BASSWOOD AVENUE, EXCEPT DURING THE HOURS OF 7:30 A.M. TO 9:30 A.M.
11. WESTERN AVENUE SIDEWALK IMPROVEMENTS. (CARRYOVER FROM FEBRUARY 20.) (LOPEZ)
RECOMMENDATION: REQUEST THAT CALTRANS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEM IN THEIR SIDEWALK RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT ALONG WESTERN AVENUE: (1) REPLACEMENT TREES (25) ADJACENT TO THE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES ON THE EASTERLY SIDE OF WESTERN AVENUE FROM CADDINGTON DRIVE TO APPROXIMATELY 150 FEET NORTHERLY OF TOSCANINI DRIVE; AND, (2) NO REPLACEMENT TREES (11)
ADJACENT TO THE COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES ON THE WESTERLY SIDE OF WESTERN AVENUE FROM CRESTWOOD STREET TO PARK WESTERN DRIVE (4 TREES) AND ON THE EASTERLY SIDE OF WESTERN AVENUE FROM 150 FEET NORTHERLY OF TOSCANINI DRIVE TO WESTMONT DRIVE (7 TREES).
12. SIGNAL MODIFICATIONS: HAWTHORNE BLVD @ HIGHRIDGE AND HAWTHORNE BLVD. @ RIDGEGATE. (ALLISON)
RECOMMENDATION: AUTHORIZE STAFF TO COORDINATE WITH THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES TO MODIFY THE SIGNALS ON HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD @ HIGHRIDGE ROAD AND ON HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD @ RIDGEGATE DRIVE TO TRADITIONAL PROTECTED (GREEN ARROW)/PERMISSIVE(GREEN BALL) PHASING.
13. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT FUNDED LANDSLIDE PROJECT DESCRIPTIONS. (CARRYOVER FROM FEBRUARY 20.) (DOLLESCHEL)
RECOMMENDATION: DIRECT STAFF TO CONTINUE TO PROCEED WITH LANDSLIDE ABATEMENT PROJECTS NUMBERS ONE THROUGH FOUR AS DISCUSSED IN THE STAFF REPORT, SAID PROJECTS TO BE COMPLETED WITH CDBG FUNDING.
14. FY 1996-97 BUDGET WORKSHOP MEETINGS. (CARRYOVER FROM FEBRUARY 20.) (OTT0)
RECOMMENDATION: (1) SELECT A NEW DATE IN LATE MARCH OR EARLY APRIL FOR THE CITY COUNCIL BUDGET POLICY ISSUES WORKSHOP. (2) SELECT TWO DATES IN LATE APRIL OR EARLY MAY FOR THE CITY COUNCIL BUDGET REVIEW WORKSHOPS. (ONLY ONE DATE MAY BE NECESSARY.)
15. 1996 CITY COUNCIL CALENDAR OF EVENTS. (CARRYOVER FROM FEBRUARY 20.) (OTTO)
RECOMMENDATION: SELECT DATES FOR THE 1996 COMMUNITY LEADERS' BREAKFAST(S), TOWNHALL MEETING(S),NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION LUNCH AND COMMITTEE AND STAFF RECOGNITION RECEPTION FOR THE PREPARATION OF A CITY COUNCIL MASTER CALENDAR.
16. RECOMMENDED SALARY RANGE ADJUSTMENTS, PERSONNEL RULES CHANGES AND MERIT PAY PLAN BASED UPON DATA RECEIVED UNDER THE 1995 LOS ANGELES COUNTY PRIVATE/PUBLIC AND CITY PUBLIC SECTOR COMPENSATION STUDIES. (BUSSEY)
RECOMMENDATION: (1) ADOPT RESOL. NO. 96- AMENDING RESOL. NO. 94-56 AND RESOL. NO. 94-57 ADOPTING REVISIONS TO THE COMPETITIVE SERVICE AND MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE PERSONNEL RULES TO PROVIDE FOR A MERIT PAY PLAN, TO MODIFY THE CURRENT PUBLIC EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT SYSTEM SCHEDULE FOR NON-MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEES AND TO ELIMINATE THE CITY'S LONGEVITY PAY PROGRAM; AND, (2) ADOPT RESOL. NO. 96- ADOPTING SALARY AND HOURLY RANGES FOR ALL COMPETITIVE AND MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE JOB CLASSIFICATIONS, ESTABLISHING A MERIT PAY POOL FOR THE 1995-96 FISCAL YEAR, AMENDING RESOL. NO. 95-50, THE BUDGET APPROPRIATION FOR FY 1995-96, TO REDUCE THE BUDGET FOR COMPENSATION ADJUSTMENTS AND RESCINDING RESOL. NO. 91-35.
17. REVIEW OF CITY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES. (CARRYOVER FROM FEBRUARY 20.) (MAYOR LYON)
RECOMMENDATION: AFTER COUNCIL DISCUSSION AND ANY AMENDMENTS OR MODIFICATIONS, REAFFIRM THE VISION STATEMENT, CORE VALUES STATEMENT, AND GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE CITY.
18. OLDER AMERICANS RECOGNITION DAY. (CARRYOVER FROM FEBRUARY 20.) (OTTO)
RECOMMENDATION: IF THE COUNCIL WISHES, NOMINATE AN OUTSTANDING OLDER AMERICAN FROM THE CITY TO REPRESENT RANCHO PALOS VERDES AT THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES OLDER AMERICAN RECOGNITION DAY CELEBRATION.
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports from councilmembers who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place specific only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular Council Meeting on March 19, 1996.