This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in the hallway for public viewing. If you participate in the meeting, you should observe the following rules.
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. The City Clerk cannot accept any Request forms submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting.
The agenda is divided into several categories: Consent Calendar: These are routine items and are enacted by one motion unless a request has been received by the public, Council or staff, to discuss a particular item. If you wish to speak about any item(s) on this section of the agenda you are limited to five minutes; Public Hearings, Regular Business, City Council Reports, and City Manager Reports:
If you wish to speak about a particular item under any of these categories, and you have submitted your request to speak, the City Clerk will call you at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your comments and you must limit your remarks to the item being discussed.
If you wish to speak about something NOT on the agenda and have submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your remarks and you must limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of the City Council. This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes; no action will be taken on matters brought up under this portion of the agenda but may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff.
Please make your remarks at the podium microphone. Direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers any person(s) who commit the following acts in respect to a regular or special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
4. Any other unlawful interference with the due and orderly course of the meeting.
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
TUESDAY, MAY 21, 1996
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
6:00 P.M. CLOSED SESSION
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
FLAG SALUTE: NEXT RESOL. NO. 96-31
NEXT ORD. NO. 315
CEREMONIAL MATTER: (1) Presentation of Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting. (2) Presentation of City plaque to departing Account Manager Linda Peterson.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Minutes of May 4, and May 7, 1996. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Approve the minutes.
2. Claim against the City by Patricia Maier. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Reject the claim and direct the City Clerk to notify the claimant.
3. Claim against the City by Quemars Sadeghi. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Reject the claim and direct the City Clerk to notify the claimant.
4. Miraleste Recreation & Park District - Confirmation of appointment of board members. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Confirm the appointment of Valerie Anderson and Peter Glusac to the Board of the Miraleste Recreation & Park District to serve until December 1999.
5. Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Three Year Renewal Contract with the County of Los Angeles Community Development Commission (Cdc). (Lindsey)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to sign the proposed agreement with the County of Los Angeles Community Development Commission (CDC), to continue participation in the CDBG program for Federal Fiscal Years 1997-1999.
6. Notice of Completion-Eastview Park Tot-Lot Renovation - Bennett Enterprises. (Hillstead)
Recommendation: 1. Accept the work as completed. 2. Authorize the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion and notify the Surety Company to exonerate the labor and material bonds if no claims are filed during the 35 day legal notice period. 3. Authorize the Finance Director to release the retention 35 days after the Notice of Completion has been recorded by the County Recorder.
7. Gifts for Parks. (Rosenfeld)
Recommendation: Accept the Gifts for Parks donations and direct staff to prepare letters for the Mayor's signature expressing Council's thanks and appreciation.
8. Fiscal Year 1995 -96 Slurry Seal Program Notice of Completion - Roy Allan, Inc. (Allison)
Recommendation: 1. Accept the work as complete; 2. Authorize the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion with the County Recorder, and if no claims are filed 35 days after recordation, and upon the contractor posting an acceptable security, notice the surety company to exonerate the Payment and Performance Bonds posted at the time the contract was awarded, and
3. Authorize the Finance Director to release retentions 35 days after recordation of the Notice of Completion, contingent upon no claims being filed, and the contractor posting acceptable security.
9. Approval of Lease Between the City and Montessori School of Manhattan Beach, Inc. (Rosenfeld)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the lease agreement between the City and Montessori School of Manhattan Beach, Inc.
10. Budget Adjustment for the FY 95-96 Street Pavement Overlay Program. (Lopez)
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution 96- of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Amending Resolution No. 95-50, the Budget Appropriation for FY 1995-96, for a Budget Adjustment to the City's Capital Projects Fund.
11. Request for Extension Request, Transamerica Realty Services, VestingTentative Tract Map No. 40967. (De Freitas)
Recommendation: 1. Approve a one year time extension to May 19, 1997; and, 2. Confirm that the Conditional Use Permit, Variance, Grading Permit, and Coastal Permit shall remain in effect and shall expire only if finished grading, the realignment of Yacht Harbor Drive, and construction of the utilities have not been completed and accepted within two years from the date of recordation of the Final Tract Map.
12. Register of Demands. (O'Neil)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 96- .
# # # # # # #
13. Code Amendment No. 34 and Environmental Assessment No. 628-- Amendments to Titles 16 and 17 of the City's Municipal Code (Development Code Revisions). (Rojas)
Recommendation: 1. Proceed with the initial review of draft Chapters 17.84, 17.86, 17.88, 17.90, 17.92, and 17.96 as provided in the amended review schedule; and, 2. Continue consideration of the amended Development Code to June 18, 1996.
14. Tract No. 24423 Amendment No. 1 - vacation of a portion of the slope easement. (Allison)
Recommendation: (1) Adopt Resol. No. 96- of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes conditionally approving Amendment No. 1 to Tract No. 24423. (2) Adopt Resol. No. 96- of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes vacating a portion of a slope easement for the extension of Mossbank Drive.
15. Waiver of Appeal Fee for Minor Exception Permit No. 501. Appellant: Teng Li-Ann Lee and Tai-Shon Lee, 55 Oceanaire Drive. Landowner: Robert and Shirley Lie, 54 Oceanaire Drive. (Pollard)
Recommendation: Deny the request to waive fees associated with the appeal of the Director's approval of Minor Exception Permit No. 501.
16. Request from Eastview residents for financial assistance to pay anticipated legal expenses to obtain an optional attendance agreement between the L. A. Unified School District and the Palos Verdes Unified School District. (Bussey)
Recommendation: Consider the request for a City Grant, on a matching basis, to Rolling Hills Riviera Homeowners Association (Eastview), and, if such a determination is made, direct staff to prepare a resolution appropriating the grant amount.
17. Ocean Trails - Request for City Participation in financing of Ocean Trails through the issuance of bonds. (Bussey)
Recommendation: Deny the request for the City's to participate in the financing of the Ocean Trails project.
18. 1996-97 Budget Review. (Carryover of remaining budget items from the Monday, May 20 work shop.) (Bussey)
Recommendation: If necessary, continue discussion of the FY 1996-97 budget.
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports from councilmembers who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place certain only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular meeting.
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA CHECKLIST
Based on Government Code Section 54954.5
(All Statutory References are to California Government
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
x A point has been reached where, in the opinion of the City Council/Agency on the advice of its legal counsel, based on the below-described existing facts and circumstances, there is a significant exposure to litigation against the City Council/Agency.
CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
x (B) The following facts and circumstances known to plaintiff or plaintiffs regarding (choose one and describe)
The City has issued a Notice and Order to Abate a public nuisance fire hazard and threat to public safety on the property commonly known as Windport Canyon or Indian Valley. The City may be required to enter the property to abate the nuisance, creating a substantial risk of litigatin by the property owner against the City.
PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
Title: City Manager