This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in the hallway for public viewing. If you participate in the meeting, you should observe the following rules.
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. The City Clerk cannot accept any Request forms submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting.
The agenda is divided into several categories: Consent Calendar: These are routine items and are enacted by one motion unless a request has been received by the public, Council or staff, to discuss a particular item. If you wish to speak about any item(s) on this section of the agenda you are limited to five minutes; Public Hearings, Regular Business, City Council Reports, and City Manager Reports:
If you wish to speak about a particular item under any of these categories, and you have submitted your request to speak, the City Clerk will call you at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your comments and you must limit your remarks to the item being discussed.
If you wish to speak about something NOT on the agenda and have submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your remarks and you must limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of the City Council. This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes; no action will be taken on matters brought up under this portion of the agenda but may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff.
Please make your remarks at the podium microphone. Direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers any person(s) who commit the following acts in respect to a regular or special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
4. Any other unlawful interference with the due and orderly course of the meeting.
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
TUESDAY, AUGUST 6, 1996
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
FLAG SALUTE: NEXT RESOL. NO. 96-60
NEXT ORD. NO. 317
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Minutes of July 2, 10, and 16, 1996. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Approve the minutes.
2. Confirmation of Traffic Committee Appointment. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Confirm the appointment of Ms. Ava Shepherd as the eighth member of the Traffic Committee with a term of office until December 1997.
3. Budget Adjustment for Fiscal Year 1995-96. (McLean)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 96- amending Resol. No. 95-50, the Budget Appropriation for Fiscal Year 1995-96, for a budget adjustment to the City's General Fund.
4. Notice of completion - Bennett Enterprises - For American Disabilities Act
Improvements at Point Vicente Interpretive Center and Hesse Park. (Hillstead)
Recommendation: (1) Accept the work as complete; (2) Authorize the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion and notify the surety company to exonerate the Labor & Material bonds if no claims are filed during the 35 day legal notice period; and, (3) Authorize the Finance Director to release the retention 35 days after the Notice of Completion has been recorded by the County Recorder.
5. Notice of Completion- - SRD Construction for Repair of the Storm Drain on Montemalaga and Basswood. (Evans)
Recommendation: (1) Accept the work as complete. (2) Authorize the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion and notify the surety company to exonerate the Labor and Materials bonds if no claims are filed during the 35 day legal notice period. (3) Authorize the Finance Director to release the retention 35 days after the Notice of Completion has been recorded by the County Recorder.
6. Contract Extensions (Landscape Maintenance). (Hillstead)
Recommendation: (1) Award extended maintenance service agreements to Landscape West, Inc. for Fiscal Year 1996-97; and, (2) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute maintenance service Agreements with Landscape West, Inc.
7. Claim against the City by the Palos Verdes Bay Club. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Reject the claim and direct the City Clerk to notify the claimant.
8. Commercial Refuse and Collection Agreement with HMD Waste Company. (Ramezani)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute a nonexclusive franchise agreement for commercial refuse collection and disposal services with HMD Waste Company to be effective through December 31, 1996.
9. Notice of Completion of the Fiscal Year 1995-96 Street Striping Program - Paving Contractors, Inc. (Allison)
Recommendation: (1) Approve Change Order Number One, which exceeds the authorized project budget by $345.63. (2) Accept the work as complete (3) Authorize the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion and notify the surety company to exonerate the Labor and Materials Bonds if no claims are filed during the 35 day legal notice. (4) Authorize the Finance Director to release the retention 35 days after the Notice of Completion has been recorded.
10. Resol. No. 96- Register of Demands. (McLean)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 96- .
# # # # # # #
11. Minor Exception Permit No. 501-Appeal. Appellants: Robert & Shirley Lie. Location: 55 Oceanaire Drive. (Pollard)
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 96-__ Denying the appeal of Minor Exception Permit No. 501, thereby ratifying the Planning Commission's Decision to Allow a 5.7% decrease in the minimum 50% Landscaping Requirement within the Front Yard Setback Area for an after-the-fact installation of a semi-circular driveway and other hardscape at 54 Oceanaire Drive.
12. Vacation of a portion of Narbonne Avenue Right of Way.
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution 96- , a Resolution of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes vacating the City's interest in a portion of Narbonne Avenue right of way.
13. Code Amendment No. 34 and Environmental Assessment No. 628 --Amendments to Titles 16 and 17 of the City's Municipal Code (Development Code Revisions). (Rojas)
Recommendation: (1) Review the final draft language of draft Chapters 16.04, 16.20, 16.24, 17.02, 17.10 and 17.46 of Title 16 and Title 17, as provided in the amended review schedule; and, (2) Continue consideration of the amended Development Code to August 20, 1996.
14. November 5, 1996 Special Municipal Election. (Purcell)
Recommendation: (1) Adopt RESOLUTION NO 96- OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES REQUESTING THAT THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES CONSOLIDATE A SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON NOVEMBER 5, 1996, WITH THE STATEWIDE GENERAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON THAT DATE PURSUANT TO SECTION 14403 OF THE ELECTIONS CODE; Adopt (2) RESOLUTION NO. 96- OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES CALLING AND GIVING NOTICE OF A SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION TO BE CONSOLIDATED WITH THE NOVEMBER 5, 1996 STATEWIDE GENERAL ELECTION, AND ORDERING THAT A QUESTION RELATING TO THE ADOPTION OF AN ORDINANCE VALIDATING AND RE-ADOPTING A 3% UTILITY USERS TAX BE SUBMITTED TO THE VOTERS AT THE SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION; (3) Adopt RESOLUTION NO. 96- OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES SETTING PRIORITIES FOR FILING A WRITTEN ARGUMENT REGARDING A CITY MEASURE AND DIRECTING THE CITY ATTORNEY TO PREPARE AN IMPARTIAL ANALYSIS; AND, (4) Adopt RESOLUTION NO. 96- OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES PROVIDING FOR THE FILING OF REBUTTAL ARGUMENTS FOR A CITY MEASURE SUBMITTED AT THE NOVEMBER 5, 1996 SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION.
15. Grant to the Community Association of the Peninsula (Cap). (Mattingly)
Recommendation: Consider the request from the Community Association of the Peninsula (CAP) for a grant in the amount of $500 and direct staff accordingly.
16. Policy Direction regarding: (1) Placement of residential structures on storage container foundations; and, (2) relocation of residential structures on the same lot, or to different lots, within the Landslide Moratorium Area. (Petru)
Recommendation: Provide staff with direction.
17. Klondike Canyon Drainage Vandalism. (City Manager)
Recommendation: Authorize an award of up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of persons vandalizing the drainage system in Klondike Canyon or related systems.
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports from councilmembers who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to Wednesday, August 7 at 9:00 a.m., at Marymount College, 30800 Palos Verdes Drive East, Rancho Palos Verdes for a City Council Team Building Workshop.