This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in the hallway for public viewing. If you participate in the meeting, you should observe the following rules.
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. The City Clerk cannot accept any Request forms submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting.
The agenda is divided into several categories: Consent Calendar: These are routine items and are enacted by one motion unless a request has been received by the public, Council or staff, to discuss a particular item. If you wish to speak about any item(s) on this section of the agenda you are limited to five minutes; Public Hearings, Regular Business, City Council Reports, and City Manager Reports:
If you wish to speak about a particular item under any of these categories, and you have submitted your request to speak, the City Clerk will call you at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your comments and you must limit your remarks to the item being discussed.
If you wish to speak about something NOT on the agenda and have submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your remarks and you must limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of the City Council. This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes; no action will be taken on matters brought up under this portion of the agenda but may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff.
Please make your remarks at the podium microphone. Direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers any person(s) who commit the following acts in respect to a regular or special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 1996
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
6:30 P.M. Closed Session. See Attached Brown Act Checklist.
7:00 P.M. Regular Session
Call to Order:
Flag Salute: Next Resol. No. 96-71
Next Ord. No. 318
Ceremonial Events: (1) Presentation of Proclamation for "Support Your Schools" Month. (2) Presentation of Proclamation for Beach Clean-Up Day - September 21, 1996.
Approval of Agenda:
Approval of Consent Calendar:
1. Waiver of reading in full of all ordinances adopted at this meeting with consent to the waiver of reading deemed to be given by all councilmembers after the reading of the title.
Recommendation: Adopt a motion to waive full reading.
2. Minutes of August 20, 1996. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Approve the minutes.
3. Approval of Residential Waste Indemnification Agreement - Puente Hills Landfill.Recommendation: Approve the Residential Waste Indemnification Agreement - Puente Hills Landfill and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the Agreement on behalf of the City.
4. Ordinance No. 317 Code Amendment No. 34 --Amendments to Section 17.02.040 of the City's Municipal Code (Proposition M). (Rojas)
Recommendation: Adopt Ordinance No. 317 of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes adopting amendments to Section 17.02.040 of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Municipal Code. (This ordinance was introduced at the August 20 meeting.)
5. Register of Demands. (McLean)
Recommendation: Adopt the proposed resolution.
# # # # # # #
6. Ocean Trails Project - Revision "C"; a 269.9 acre site located seaward of Palos Verdes Drive South, between the Portuguese Bend Club on the west and Los Angeles County Shoreline Park on the east. Landowners: Zuckerman Building Company and Palos Verdes Land Holdings Company. (Petru)
Recommendation: Adopt (1) Resolution No. 96- thereby adopting Addendum No. 5 to Environmental Impact Report No. 36, including a revised Mitigation Monitoring Program; (2) Resolution Nos. 96- and 96- thereby approving revisions to Vesting Tentative Tract Map Nos. 50666 and 50667; (3) Resolution Nos. 96- and 96- thereby approving revisions to Conditional Use Permit Nos. 162 (Residential Planned Development) and 163 (golf course); and, (4) Resolution No. 96- thereby approving revisions to Grading Permit No. 1541.
7. Reconsideration of the City Council's August 6, 1996 decision to uphold the appeal of Minor Exception Permit No. 501, and requirement of the applicant to remove the semi-circular driveway from the front-yard setback area of their property. (Pollard)
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution 96-__ thereby upholding the Appeal of Minor Exception Permit No. 501 and overturning the Planning Commision's decision to allow a decrease in the minimum 50% landscaping requirement within the frontyard setback area for an after-the-fact installation of a semi-circular driveway and other hardscape at 54 Oceanaire Drive.
8. Code Amendment No. 34 and Environmental Assessment No. 628--Amendments to Titles 16 and 17 of the City's Municipal Code (Development Code Revisions). (Rojas)
Recommendation: (1) Review the final draft language of draft Chapters 17.26, 17.28, 17.32, 17.34, 17.38, 17.40, 17.42, 17.44, 17.48, 17.50, 17.52, 17.54, 17.56 and 17.58 of Title 17, as provided in the amended review schedule; (Chapter 17.46 pertaining to the Large Domestic Animal Overlay Control District will not be heard on this agenda; that portion of the Development Code Revisions has been postponed to the September 17, 1996 meeting); (2) Continue consideration of the amended Development Code to September 17, 1996.
9. Conformance with the 1995 Los Angeles County Congestion Management Program. (CMP). (Rojas)
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 96 - , thereby adopting the City's 1996 Local Implementation Report (LIR) and self-certifying the City's conformance with the 1995 Congestion Management Program (CMP) of Los Angeles County.
10. 1997 Single Family Residential Refuse and Recycling Franchise Renewal. (Ramezani)
Recommendations: (1) provide direction to staff to either negotiate with current waste haulers or advertise for bids for continuation of refuse collection services after current contracts expire; (2) Authorize staff to request proposals for consultant services to assist the City in developing new contract terms, and negotiating or advertising for refuse collection services; (3) Appropriate an additional $63,000 (or $23,000) from Solid Waste Fund balance for consulting services; and, (4) Assign the Finance Advisory Committee the task of working with staff to address various refuse collection issues, develop outreach programs and make recommendations to Council.
11. Exemptions for Building Permits on Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal Replacements. (Petru)
Recommendation: Maintain the current Uniform Plumbing Code Sections that require Building Permits for dishwasher and garbage disposal replacements.
12. Coordination of Sheriff Services with School District. (Bussey)
Recommendation: Authorize the City of Rancho Palos Verdes to cooperate with the Cities of Rolling Hills Estates and Rolling Hills to increase our youth-related law enforcement efforts by authorizing the Sheriff's Department to assign a Special Assignment Officer to serve as liaison with the Peninsula Unified School District and to perform related services.
13. Request for Golf tax Deferral. (Bussey)
Recommendation: Direct staff to prepare a Development Agreement between the owners of the Ocean Trails Development and the City for the specific purpose of spelling out the obligations of the developer by imposing an in-lieu fee instead of the imposition of the golf tax.
14. Request to hire a consultant to advise the City on Long Point. (Bussey)
Recommendation: Authorize the staff to solicit proposals to provide assistance to the City in evaluating various aspects of the Long Point/City proposed joint golf development.
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports from councilmembers who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place certain only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular meeting.
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA CHECKLIST
Based on Government Code Section 54954.5
(All Statutory References are to California Government
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
The City Council/Agency finds, based on advice from legal counsel, that discussion in open session will prejudice the position of the local agency in the litigation.
Name of Case: Montrose Chemical Company
Names of Parties or Names of Claimants