This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression
of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in
the hallway for public viewing. If you participate in the meeting, you
should observe the following rules.
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. The City Clerk cannot accept any Request forms submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting.
The agenda is divided into several categories: Consent Calendar:
These are routine items and are enacted by one motion unless a request
has been received by the public, Council or staff, to discuss a particular
item. If you wish to speak about any item(s) on this section of the agenda
you are limited to five minutes; Public Hearings, Regular Business, City
Council Reports, and City Manager Reports:
If you wish to speak about a particular item under any of these categories,
and you have submitted your request to speak, the City Clerk will call
you at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make
your comments and you must limit your remarks to the item being discussed.
If you wish to speak about something NOT on the agenda and have
submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the
appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your remarks
and you must limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of
the City Council. This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes; no
action will be taken on matters brought up under this portion of the agenda
but may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff.
Please make your remarks at the podium microphone. Direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of
rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt
from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers
any person(s) who commit the following acts in respect to a regular or
special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
4. Any other unlawful interference with the due and orderly course of
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
MAY 6, 1997
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
6:00 P.M. CLOSED SESSION; SEE ATTACHED BROWN ACT CHECKLIST.
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
FLAG SALUTE: NEXT RESOL. NO. 97-29
NEXT ORD. NO. 323
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Minutes of April 1, 1997 (Purcell)
Recommendation: Approve the minutes of April 1, 1997.
2. Vacation of a Riding and Hiking Easement at 27719 Hawthorne Blvd. (Allison)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 97- , A Resolution of the City
Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Declaring its intention to vacate
a portion of a riding and hiking easement.
3. Acceptance of Easement for Drainage Facilities - Pacific Unitarian Church - 5621 Montemalaga Drive. (Evans)
Recommendation: Accept the Easement for Drainage Facilities from Pacific Unitarian Church and authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the Certificate of Acceptance on behalf of the City.
4. Emergency Response Multi-Hazard Functional Plan. (Otto)
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 97-__ Approving the City's
Emergency Multi-Hazard Functional Plan.
5. Maintenance Contract - Signal Maintenance. (Allison)
Recommendation: 1. Increase staff authorization for the
FY 1996- 97 Signal Maintenance Contract with Superior Signal Services Inc.
from $28,000.00 to $37,000.00, a $9,000.00 increase. 2. Award a
contract for the Fiscal year 1997- 98 signal maintenance to Superior Signal
Maintenance Services, Inc. 3. Authorize staff to spend up to $45,000.00
for Fiscal Year 1997-98. 4. Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to
execute contract documents with Superior Signal Service, Inc. for signal
maintenance service for FY 1997-98.
6. Professional Service Agreement - Scenic turnouts. (Allison)
Recommendation: 1. Award a Professional Services Contract to
Charles Abbott Associates Inc., for a not to exceed amount of $49,500 for
services related to the Design and Administration of Scenic Turnouts along
Palos Verdes Drive West and Palos Verdes Drive South. 2. Authorize
the Mayor and City Clerk to execute an agreement with Charles Abbott Associates,
7. Citywide Landscaping and Lighting District. (Allison)
Recommendation: 1. Adopt Resolution No. 97-___, Initiating
Proceedings for the Levy and Collection of Assessments Within the Citywide
Landscaping and Lighting Maintenance District for Fiscal Year 1997-98 and
Ordering the Engineer to Prepare a Report in Connection Therewith. 2.
Adopt Resolution No. 97-___, Approving the Engineer's Report in Connection
with the Levy and Collection of Assessments Within the Citywide Landscaping
and Lighting Maintenance District for Fiscal Year 1997-98. 3. Adopt
Resolution No. 97-___, Declaring the City Council's Intention to Levy and
Collect Assessments Within the Citywide Landscaping and Lighting Maintenance
District for Fiscal Year 1997-98 and Setting a Time and Place for Hearing
8. FY 96-97 Budget Resolution for Palos Verdes Drive West Median Landscape Improvement. (Ramezani)
Recommendation: Adopt Budget Resolution No. 97-___, a Fund Balance
Transfer in the Amount of $55,000 from the City's Landscape and Street
Lighting (1972 Act) Fund to the Capital Improvement Program Fund for Payment
of the Costs of the Palos Verde Drive West Median Landscape Improvement.
9. Award of contract for the FY 1996-97 Sidewalk Repair. (Ramezani)
Recommendation: 1. Award a contract to Croatian Construction
Company in the amount of $69,053 and authorize staff to spend up to $3,447
contingency for a total of $72,500 for the FY 1996-97 Sidewalk Repair Program.
2. Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the agreement with
Croatian Construction Company.
10. Proposition "E" - Replacement funding for Fire & Paramedic Emergency Services. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Support the passage of Proposition "E"
on the June 3, 1997 Special Election Ballot.
11. Resolution of Authorization - Natural Community Conservation Planning (NCCP)
Grant Funding. (Otto)
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 97- ___ Authorizing the
Acceptance of $20,000 in Grant Funds from the State Department of Fish
and Game for the Purpose of Implementing Certain Tasks Related to the City's
Natural Community Conservation Planning (NCCP) Plan.
12. Register of Demands. (McLean)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 97-____.
# # # # # # #
CARRYOVER ITEMS FROM APRIL 15, 1997 MEETING:
13. Recreation and Parks Committee Vacancy. (Purcell)
Recommendation: 1. Accept the resignation of Recreation
& Parks Committee Member Frances Griffin; 2. Instruct staff
to begin recruitment to fill this vacancy on the Committee; or 3. Make
an appointment from the list of candidates who previously applied for appointment
to the Committee.
14. General Plan Amendment Initiation Request Policy. (Snow)
Recommendation: Adopt City Council Policy Number 32 regarding
the General Plan Amendment Initiation Request process, and direct staff
to place the policy in the City Council Policy Manual.
15. Natural Communities Conservation Planning (NCCP) - Interim Habitat Loss 4D Permit Process. (Rojas)
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 97-___ thereby approving
a Coastal Sage Scrub Interim habitat Loss Permit Process, pursuant to the
Section 4(D) "Special Rule" of the Federal Endangered species
16. Establishment of an Affordable Housing in-Lieu Fee. (Pfost)
Recommendation: Open the Public Hearing and continue the matter
until May 20, 1997.
17. Tentative Tract Map No. 46651 - Amendment No. 2.(Applicant: Kajima Development Corporation). (Continued public hearing from April 15.) (Pfost)
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 97-__, Approving Tentative
Tract Map No. 46651 - Amendment No. 2 to Remove the Condition of Approval
That Required the Installation of Groundwater Monitoring Wells and Modify
the Timing on Another Condition of Approval Regarding the Required Storm
Water Pollution Prevention Plan.
18. Ordinance Regarding the Collection of Solid Waste and Recyclables, and Amending Chapter 8.20 of the Rancho Palos Verdes Municipal Code. (Ramezani)
Recommendation: Waive further reading and INTRODUCE Ordinance
No. ___, of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Regarding the Collection of
Solid Waste and Recyclables, and Amending Chapter 8.20 of the Rancho Palos
Verdes Municipal Code.
19. Award of Exclusive Single Family Solid Waste Collection, Processing and Disposal Services Contracts to Existing Haulers. (Ramezani)
Recommendation: 1. Award an exclusive single family residential
refuse, recycling and green waste franchise contract to Waste Management
of Los Angeles. 2. Award an exclusive single family residential
refuse and recycling franchise contract to Ivy Rubbish Disposal.
20. Equestrian Committee Draft Policies. (Rojas)
Recommendation: 1. Review the draft Equestrian Committee policies
proposed by the Equestrian Sub-Committee; 2. If necessary, direct
Staff to add, delete or modify the draft policies; and, 3. Set a
date for interviews for prospective Equestrian Committee members.
21. Selection Process for the Acquisition of New Financial Accounting Software. (McLean)
Recommendation: 1. Authorize staff to proceed with the selection
of new financial accounting software. 2. Authorize staff to negotiate
the terms and conditions of the acquisition. The purchase contract will
be presented to the Council for approval.
22. Final Tract Map No. 45661, Kajima Development Corporation, Seabreeze Project, a 59 acre parcel located at the southwest corner of Crest Road and Highridge Road. (Pfost)
Recommendation: 1. Approve the Final Tract Map and subdivision
Agreement for Tract No. 45661 and accept dedications and easements for
roadway, utility and trial purposes; 2. Authorize the City Clerk
to sign the Final Map and authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to sign the
23. Review of Budget for Fiscal Year 1997-98. (Carryover of remaining budget items from Monday, May 5 workshop. (Bussey)
Recommendation: If necessary, continue discussion of the FY 1997-98
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports
from COUNCILMEMBERS who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience
comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place certain only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular meeting.
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA CHECKLIST
Based on Government Code Section 54954.5
(All Statutory References are to California Government
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
A point has been reached where, in the opinion of the City Council/Agency on the advice of its legal counsel, based on the below-described existing facts and circumstances, there is a significant exposure to litigation against the City Council/Agency.
(Number of Potential Cases)
Based upon a threat of litigation received in a letter dated January
14, 1997 which is on file in the City Clerk's Office.