This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in the hallway for public viewing. If you participate in the meeting, you should observe the following rules.
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. The City Clerk cannot accept any Request forms submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting.
The agenda is divided into several categories: Consent Calendar: These are routine items and are enacted by one motion unless a request has been received by the public, Council or staff, to discuss a particular item. If you wish to speak about any item(s) on this section of the agenda you are limited to five minutes; Public Hearings, Regular Business, City Council Reports, and City Manager Reports:
If you wish to speak about a particular item under any of these categories, and you have submitted your request to speak, the City Clerk will call you at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your comments and you must limit your remarks to the item being discussed.
If you wish to speak about something NOT on the agenda and have submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your remarks and you must limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of the City Council. This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes; no action will be taken on matters brought up under this portion of the agenda but may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff.
Please make your remarks at the podium microphone. Direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers any person(s) who commit the following acts in respect to a regular or special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
4. Any other unlawful interference with the due and orderly course of the meeting.
MAY 20, 1997
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
FLAG SALUTE: NEXT RESOL. NO. 97-38
NEXT ORD. NO. 324
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Motion to waive full reading of ordinances presented at this meeting.
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt a motion to waive reading in full of all ordinances and resolutions presented at this meeting with consent of the waiver of reading deemed to be given by all Councilmembers after the reading of the title.
2. Minutes of April 9, April 15 and May 6, 1997. (Purcell)
RECOMMENDATION: Approve the minutes.
3. Adoption of Ordinance Regarding the Collection of Solid Waste and Recyclables, and Amending Chapter 8.20 of the Municipal Code. (Ramezani)
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Ordinance No. 323 of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes, amending Chapter 8.20 of the Rancho Palos Verdes Municipal Code.
4. FY 97-98 Weed Abatement Contract for City Rights-of-Way. (Hillstead)
RECOMMENDATION: Award a three year contract for Right-of-Way Weed Control to Bennett Enterprises at a rate not to exceed $20,400 per year; and authorize staff to spend an additional $2,000 for extra work.
5. Custodial Services for City Facilities. (Hillstead)
RECOMMENDATION: Award a three year contract for custodial services for City facilities to United Building Services for the bid amount of $41,340.00 per year and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to sign said contract.
6. Acceptance of Sewer Easements. (Allison)
RECOMMENDATION: 1. Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute and record a Certificate of Acceptance for a sewer easement from the County of Los Angeles. 2. Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute and record a Certificate of Acceptance for a sewer easement from the property owner of Lot 8, Tract 20856, adjacent to Tarapaca Road.
7. Award the FY 97-98 Landscape Maintenance Contract for Park, Medians and Trails. (Hillstead)
RECOMMENDATION: 1. Award the Fiscal Year 1997-98 contract for park maintenance to Landscape West, Inc. for the bid amount of $111,360 ($9.280/mo.). 2. Award the Fiscal Year 1997-98 contract for median maintenance to Satsuma Landscape, Inc. for the bid amount of $40,020 ($3,335/mo.). 3. Award the Fiscal Year 1997-98 contract for special landscape area to Landscape West for the bid amount of $6,720 (560/mo.). 4. Award the Fiscal Year 1997-98 contract for trail maintenance to Landscape West for the bid amount of $7,200 ($600/mo.). 5. Relieve Mariposa Horticulture of their apparent low bid for Special District maintenance and return their bidder's bond. 6. Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the contract documents.
8. Claiming FY 96-97 Bicycle and Pedestrian Funds (SB 821). (Ramezani)
RECOMMENDATION: 1. Adopt Resolution No. 97- Approving the Application for Fy 96-97 Bicycle and Pedestrian Funds under SB 821; 2. Authorize the use of $55,000 to construct bicycle lanes for the Montemalaga Drive Reconstruction and Peninsula/Tri-Cities Bikeway projects.
9. Bonding Requirements for City Officials. (Purcell)
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Resol. No. 97- Of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Approving a Policy for a "Master Bond" for City Employees.
10. Agreement for Environmental Consulting Services between the City and Peri Muretta for environmental documentation of Conditional Use Permit No. 195 and related cases as proposed by Marriott Senior Living Services. (Snow)
RECOMMENDATION: Approve the Agreement for Environmental Consultant Services between the City and Peri Muretta, and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the agreement.
11. Agreement for Portuguese Bend Field. (Rosenfeld)
RECOMMENDATION: Approve and authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the Memorandum of Understanding between the City and the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District for the use of the Portuguese Bend Field.
12. Release of Landscaping Bonds for Tract No. 33206 (Shapell Industries, Inc.) (Petru)
RECOMMENDATION: 1. Accept a portion of the common area landscaping as complete and authorize the City Clerk to notify the surety company and principal that the Labor and Materials Bond in the amount of $23,292.50 and the Faithful Performance Bond in an amount of $46,585.00 have been released; and, 2. Require the establishment of separate bonds, prior to the release of the existing bonds, in the amount of $11,646.25 for Labor and Materials and $23,292.50 for Faithful Performance to ensure completion of the landscaping in the remaining common area.
13. Selection of Medical and Dental Insurance Providers and Provider for Other Miscellaneous Benefits. (Mattingly)
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Resol. No. 97- Providing Medical Insurance Coverage from the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) and Establishing City Contribution Amounts for Employee Insurance Premiums.
14. Register of Demands. (McLean)
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Resolution No. 97-___.
# # # # # # #
15. Establishment of an Affordable Housing in-Lieu Fee. (Continued from May 6, 1997.) (Pfost)
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Resolution No. 97-__, approving an affordable housing in-lieu fee pursuant to Section 17.11.050 of the Development Code.
16. Request from L.A. Cellular for the Installation of Microcell Antennae at Six (6) Sites on City Property and in Public Rights-Of-Way in the General Vicinity of Crenshaw Boulevard, Crest Road and Hawthorne Boulevard. (Fox)
RECOMMENDATION: Apply the existing policy for streamlined review to the installation of antennae on existing poles in City rights-of-way; and require approval of a conditional use permit for both installations in City rights-of-way which involve replacement of existing poles with larger and/or taller poles, and installations on private property.
17. Waiver of the Fee to Appeal a Decision of the Planning Commission Regarding the Mobil Service Station at 28103 Hawthorne Boulevard (Nancy Moore, 6344 Villa Rosa Drive). (Fox)
RECOMMENDATION: Deny the appellant's request to waive the $700.00 minor application appeal fee for the outdoor seating/dining area at the Mobil service station and convenience store at 28103 Hawthorne Boulevard.
18. Hesse Park Play Equipment Plan. (Evans)
RECOMMENDATION: 1. Direct staff to complete plans and specifications for Hesse Park Playground Equipment and advertise for bids. 2. Authorize an additional expenditure $25,000 in the 1996-97 City Budget to fund the proposed improvements.
19. Award of Professional Services Contracts for Plan checking, Inspection Drafting and Surveying. (Evans)
RECOMMENDATION: 1. Approve a Professional Services Agreement with Charles Abbott Associates in the amount of $15,000 for plan checking and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the contract. 2. Approve a Professional Services Agreement with Merit Civil Engineering, Inc. in the amount of $15,000 for drafting services and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the contract. 3. Approve a Professional Services Agreement with Willdan Associates in the amount of $15,000 for inspection services and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the contract. 4. Approve a Professional Services Agreement with Shirley Bennett in the amount of $15,000 for landscape/arborist inspections and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the contract. 5. Approve a Professional Services Agreement with Kelsoe & Associates, Inc. in the amount of $15,000 for surveying services and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the contract. 6. Approve a Professional Services Agreement with SA Associates in the amount of $15,000 for drafting and inspection services and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the contract. 7. Approve a Professional Services Agreement with John M. Cruickshank in the amount of $5000 for drafting services and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the contract.
20. Reconstruction of Palos Verdes Drive South from Narcissa to Peppertree Drive. (Schlesinger)
RECOMMENDATION: Direct staff to proceed with the Palos Verdes Drive South reconstruction project by selecting one of the alternatives discussed in the staff report, or direct staff to cancel the Palos Verdes Drive South project.
21. Consideration of funding sewer pump station for Portuguese Bend Club. (Bussey)
RECOMMENDATION: After Council discussion, provide staff with direction concerning the Council's interest in providing financial assistance to the Portuguese Bend Club for the development of a sewer system.
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports from Councilmembers who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to Thursday, May 29 at 7:00 P.M. for a budget workshop to be held at City Hall Community Room.