This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in the hallway for public viewing. If you participate in the meeting, you should observe the following rules.
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. The City Clerk cannot accept any Request forms submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting.
The agenda is divided into several categories: Consent Calendar: These are routine items and are enacted by one motion unless a request has been received by the public, Council or staff, to discuss a particular item. If you wish to speak about any item(s) on this section of the agenda you are limited to five minutes; Public Hearings, Regular Business, City Council Reports, and City Manager Reports:
If you wish to speak about a particular item under any of these categories, and you have submitted your request to speak, the City Clerk will call you at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your comments and you must limit your remarks to the item being discussed.
If you wish to speak about something NOT on the agenda and have submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the appropriate time. You will be allowed three minutes to make your remarks and you must limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of the City Council. This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes; no action will be taken on matters brought up under this portion of the agenda but may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff.
Please make your remarks at the podium microphone. Direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers any person(s) who commit the following acts in respect to a regular or special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
4. Any other unlawful interference with the due and orderly course of the meeting.
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
OCTOBER 21, 1997
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
6:00 P.M. CLOSED SESSION. SEE ATTACHED BROWN ACT CHECKLIST.
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
FLAG SALUTE: NEXT RESOL. NO. 97-88
NEXT ORD. NO. 326
CEREMONIAL MATTER: Presentation of ten year service pin to Recreation & Parks Director Ron Rosenfeld and Recreation Supervisor II Holly Starr.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Minutes of September 16, and October 7, 1997. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Approve the minutes.
2. Professional services agreement for soil engineering and soil testing. (Allison)
Recommendation: 1. Award a professional services contract to the LKR Group for a not-to-exceed amount of $10,000 for soil engineering and soil testing services. 2. Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute a contract with The LKR Group.
3. Traffic and engineering speed survey. (Allison)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 97- , a resolution of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes establishing speed limits on various streets.
4. Records Management - Annual Destruction of records. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 97- Authorizing the Destruction of Certain City Records as provided by Section 34090 of the Government Code of the State of California.
5. Claim against the City by Soltani-Shirazi for trip and fall on Western Avenue. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Reject the claim and direct the City Clerk to notify the claimant.
6. Resol. No. 97- Register of Demands. (McLean)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 97- .
# # # # # # #
7. Development Code Revision (Title 17) to establish procedures for processing development agreements. (Petru)
Recommendation: 1. Adopt Urgency Ordinance No. ____U amending Article VII of Title 17 of the Municipal Code to add a new Chapter 17.82 to create a procedure for processing Development agreements. 2. Introduce Ordinance No. _____ amending Article VII of Title 17 of the Municipal Code to add a new Chapter 17.82 to create a procedure for processing Development Agreements.
8. Development Agreement for Ocean Trails Project generally located at Palos Verdes Drive South at the intersection with Palos Verdes Drive East between the Portuguese Bend Club on the West and Shoreline Park on the east. (Petru).
Recommendation: 1. Adopt Resol. No. 97- of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes approving Addendum No. 6 to Environmental Impact Report No. 36. 2. Introduce Ordinance No. _______ which approves the Development Agreement between the City of Rancho Palos Verdes and the Zuckerman entities and the Palos Verdes Land Holdings Company.
9. Appeal of View Restoration Permit No. 41. (Continued from October 7 meeting.) (Ursu)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 97- Upholding the View Restoration Commission's approval of View Restoration Permit No. 41.
10. Appeal of View Restoration Permit No. 37. Applicant: Dr. Kenneth Daponte. Location: 3662 Greve Drive. Foliage Owners: Mr. Roy Lorenz, 30419 Ganado Drive and Mr. Kenneth Patton, 30411 Ganado Drive. (Nelson)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 97- affirming the decision of the View Restoration Commission and approving View Restoration Permit No. 37 upon finding that all applicable findings have been correctly made and all provisions of Section 17.02.040(C)(2) have been complied with.
11. Waiver of fee for View Restoration Permit No. 48. Applicants: Nick & Alexandra Papadakis. (Nelson)
Recommendation: Deny the applicant's request to waive the case processing fee for View Restoration Permit No. 48 involving the Mira Catalina Elementary School.
12. Request to begin possible termination of tree trimming maintenance contract with Golden Bear Arborists and advertise for bids for a new contract. (Evans)
Recommendation: Direct staff to provide 120 days notice to Golden Bear Arborists of the City's intention to terminate the existing ten year contract for tree maintenance; and, should they not agree to the new terms, direct staff to advertise for bids for a new contract.
13. Abalone Cove Assessment District Bond Restructuring. (Bussey)
Recommendation: 1. Adopt Resol. No. 97- of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes approving a Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Rancho Palos Verdes, the Rancho Palos Verdes Redevelopment Agency and the County of Los Angeles providing the framework for the restructuring of the County's Avbalone Cove Assessment Bond and declaring that the Memorandum of Understanding is exempt from the provision so the California Environmental Quality Act. 2. Direct the City staff to implement the MOU as required and return with those documents necessary to carry out the intent of the MOU.
14. Scheduling of Interview date for board member candidates for the Miraleste Recreation & Park District and Ridgecrest Recreation & Park District. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Set a date to interview the Miraleste Recreation & Park District and, if deemed appropriate, to also interview the applicants for the Ridgecrest Recreation & Park District.
15. Holiday Appreciation Reception. (Otto)
Recommendation: Select a date for the annual holiday appreciation reception for City committee and commission members and City staff.
13. Western Avenue Task Force.
Recommendation: Receive and file written report and hear oral report from Councilwoman Lyon.
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports from councilmembers who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place certain only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular meeting.
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA CHECKLIST
Based on Government Code Section 54954.5
(All Statutory References are to California Government
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
The City Council/Agency finds, based on advice from legal counsel, that discussion in open session will prejudice the position of the local agency in the litigation.
Name of Case: Claim filed on August 14, 1997 - Plaintiffs in the Consolidated Law suits entitled Horan v. Los Angeles County Flood Control District, et al., Case No. C294752 and C327256, and William Griffin, an individual taxpayer residing in Abalone Cove, all plaintiffs referred to as "Horan Litigants."
Consideration of memorandum of understanding with the County of Los Angeles.