This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in the hallway for public viewing. The City Council wants to hear your comments, however, to run the meeting efficiently, please observe the following rules when you participate in the meeting:
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. You will be called at the appropriate time to make your remarks. The City Clerk cannot accept any request submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting. If you participate in a noticed public hearing, however, the time you take to make your comments will not be counted against the ten minute limitation.
For the sake of efficiency, the City Council agenda is divided into several sections: Consent Calendar: This section consists of routine items which, unless a request has been received from the public, council or staff to remove a particular item for discussion, are enacted by one motion of the City Council. If you wish to speak to any Consent Calendar item(s) you will be limited to five minutes. Public Hearings: This section is devoted to noticed hearings; the length of time you get to speak during these hearings is frequently determined by the number of speakers on the item. Generally, you will be allowed three minutes unless the Mayor announces otherwise. Regular Business: This section contains items of general business and you will be allowed three minutes to speak on any item.
Audience Comments: This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes and is reserved for making comments on matters which are NOT on the agenda. If you have submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the appropriate time and you may speak for up to three minutes. Please limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of the City Council. Due to State law, no action can be taken on matters brought up under Audience Comments. If action by the City Council is necessary, the matter may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff, as determined by Council.
Please make your remarks at the lectern microphone and direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The Mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers any person(s) who commit the following acts at a regular or special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
4. Any other unlawful interference with the due and orderly course of the meeting.
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
SEPTEMBER 15, 1998
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
6:00 P.M. CLOSED SESSION. See attached Brown Act Checklist.
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
NEXT RESOL. NO. 98-84
NEXT ORD. NO. 341
CEREMONIAL MATTER: Recognition of the month of October as "Support Your School" month.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Motion to waive full reading of ordinances presented at this meeting. Recommendation: Adopt a motion to waive reading in full of all ordinances presented at this meeting with consent of the waiver of reading deemed to be given by all councilmembers after the reading of the title.
2. Minutes of September 1, 1998. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Approve the minutes.
3. Budget Appropriation Increases for FY 1997-98. (McLean)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOL. NO. 98- , AMENDING RESOL. NO. 97-55, THE BUDGET APPROPRIATION FOR FY1997-98, TO INCREASE BUDGETED APPROPRIATIONS IN THE COPS/LLESS FUND BY $1,200.
4. Contract Bonds for Service Contracts. (Allison)
Recommendation: (1) Delete the requirement for performance bonds for maintenance service contracts. (2) Authorize staff to issue a change order to the Annual Street Sweeping Contract to delete the requirement for performance bonds.
5. Award Professional Service Agreement to assist staff in the preparation of contract proposals, negotiations , and execution of comprehensive single-family and multi-family residential franchise agreement for solid waste collection and recycling. (Ramezani)
Recommendation: (1) Award a professional services contract to and authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute an agreement with Hilton Farnkopf & Hobson, LLC for professional services to assist staff in the preparation of contractor proposals, negotiation, and execution of a comprehensive single-family and multi-family residential franchise agreement for solid waste collection and recycling for a not-to-exceed fee of $67,500; and (2) ADOPT RESOL. NO. 98- , AMENDING RESOL. NO. 98-47, THE BUDGET APPROPRIATION FOR FISCAL YEAR 1998-99, TO INCREASE THE APPROPRIATIONS IN THE SOLID WASTE FUND BY $37,500.
6. ORDINANCE NO. 340 - AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES ADOPTING AMENDMENTS TO CHAPTER 17.02 (SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS), CHAPTER 17.16 (COMMERCIAL NEIGHBORHOOD DISTRICT), CHAPTER 17.20 (COMMERCIAL GENERAL DISTRICT), CHAPTER 17.60 (CONDITIONAL USE PERMITS), CHAPTER 17.80 (HEARING NOTICE AND APPEAL PROCEDURES) AND CHAPTER 17.96 (DEFINITIONS) OF TITLE 17 OF THE CITY'S MUNICIPAL CODE.
Recommendation: Adopt Ordinance No. 340. (This ordinance was introduced at the September 1 meeting.)
7. Register of Demands. (McLean)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 98- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES ALLOWING CERTAIN CLAIMS AND DEMANDS AND SPECIFYING FUNDS FROM WHICH THE SAME ARE TO BE PAID.
# # # # # # #
8. Use of Federal and State funding for Supplemental police services. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Approve the continuation of the two Special Assignment Officers (SAOs) to perform enforcement and crime prevention duties at schools in the region and other special missions as directed.
9. Proposed Ordinance amending City's Health and Safety Code, Chapter 8.04. (Park)
Recommendation: ADOPT ORDINANCE NO. 332 AMENDING THE HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES AND ADOPTING BY REFERENCE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE OF THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES (TITLE 11, WHICH INCLUDES CHAPTER 6.7 OF DIVISION 20 OF THE CALIFORNIA HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE) AND THE PUBLIC HEALTH LICENSES REGULATIONS OF THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES (DIVISION 1 OF TITLE 8), AND AMENDING THE RANCHO PALOS VERDES MUNICIPAL CODE.
10. View Restoration Permit No. 50 Appeal. Applicants: Mr. & Mrs. Stephen Cangemi. Foliage Owners: Mr. & Mrs. Duncan Walker. (Ursu)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOL. NO. 98- AFFIRMING THE DECISION OF THE VIEW RESTORATION COMMISSION AND APPROVING VIEW RESTORATION PERMIT NO. 50 UPON FINDING THAT ALL APPLICABLE FINDINGS HAVE BEEN CORRECTLY MADE AND ALL PROVISIONS OF SECTION 17.02.040(C)(2) HAVE BEEN COMPLIED WITH.
11. Appeal of Planning Commission approval of Height Variation No. 859 & Site Plan Review No. 7988 Revision for approval of additions totaling 1,767 sq. ft. consisting of a 1,196 sq. ft. one story addition and a 571 sq. ft. second story addition. Location: 59 Oceanaire Dr. Applicants: Mr. & Mrs. Al Edgerton. Appellant: Mr. Timothy Cotter. (Louie)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOL. NO. 98- DENYING THE APPEAL OF MR. TIMOTHY COTTER AND THEREBY UPHOLDING THE PLANNING COMMISSION'S APPROVAL FOR HEIGHT VARIATION NO. 859 AND SITE PLAN REVIEW NO. 7988 "REVISION" SUBJECT TO CONDITIONS.
12. Presentation by Steve Fowler, General Manager of Cox Communications regarding the installation of their new fiber optic system.
13. Telecommunications Regulatory Ordinance. (Petru)
Recommendation: Adopt Ordinance No. 339 AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES ADOPTING A TELECOMMUNICATIONS REGULATORY ORDINANCE AND AMENDING CHAPTER 13.12 OF TITLE 13 OF THE RANCHO PALOS VERDES MUNICIPAL CODE.
14. Palos Verdes Drive East and Bronco Drive Drainage. (McBride)
Recommendation: (1) Authorize staff to prepare plans and specifications to repair a private storm drain facility adjacent to the Palos Verdes Drive East and Bronco Road intersection; (2) Authorize staff to prepare and execute License Agreements with the affected property owners to repair the damaged portions of the private storm drain system adjacent to the Palos Verdes Drive East and Bronco Drive intersection; and, (3) Authorize staff to solicit request for proposals (RFPs) for professional services to design, inspect and obtain easements to construct a permanent storm drain system in Palos Verdes Drive East.
15. Community Leaders' Breakfast. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Set a date to hold the Community Leaders' Breakfast.
16. Proposition No. 9 - Use of utility ratepayer funds.(McTaggart)
Recommendation: Oppose this proposition.
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports from councilmembers who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place certain only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular meeting.
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA CHECKLIST
Based on Government Code Section 54954.5
(All Statutory References are to California Government
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
The City Council/Agency finds, based on advice from legal counsel, that discussion in open session will prejudice the position of the local agency in the litigation.
Name of Case: Ortolano v. Diamond Brothers
Names of Parties or Names of Claimants
Case No. L.A.S.C. BC174759
Initiation of Litigation:
(Number of Potential Cases)