This agenda has been prepared to provide for the orderly progression of City business. Detailed staff reports on specific items are posted in the hallway for public viewing. The City Council wants to hear your comments, however, to run the meeting efficiently, please observe the following rules when you participate in the meeting:
Please try to submit your REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL form to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. You will be called at the appropriate time to make your remarks. The City Clerk cannot accept any request submitted after the start of the second speaker's comment on any item.
Regardless of the number of items you wish to address, you will be limited to ten minutes for the entire meeting. If you participate in a noticed public hearing, however, the time you take to make your comments will not be counted against the ten minute limitation.
For the sake of efficiency, the City Council agenda is divided into several sections: Consent Calendar: This section consists of routine items which, unless a request has been received from the public, council or staff to remove a particular item for discussion, are enacted by one motion of the City Council. If you wish to speak to any Consent Calendar item(s) you will be limited to five minutes. Public Hearings: This section is devoted to noticed hearings; the length of time you get to speak during these hearings is frequently determined by the number of speakers on the item. Generally, you will be allowed three minutes unless the Mayor announces otherwise. Regular Business: This section contains items of general business and you will be allowed three minutes to speak on any item.
Audience Comments: This part of the agenda is limited to 15 minutes and is reserved for making comments on matters which are NOT on the agenda. If you have submitted a request to speak, you will be called by the City Clerk at the appropriate time and you may speak for up to three minutes. Please limit your comments to matters within the jurisdiction of the City Council. Due to State law, no action can be taken on matters brought up under Audience Comments. If action by the City Council is necessary, the matter may be placed on a future agenda or referred to staff, as determined by Council.
Please make your remarks at the lectern microphone and direct your comments to the City Council and not to the staff or the public.
Conduct At the Council Meeting: The City Council has adopted a set of rules for conduct during City Council meetings. The following is an excerpt from those adopted Rules of Procedure:
Section 6.3 The Mayor shall order removed from the Council Chambers any person(s) who commit the following acts at a regular or special meeting of the City Council:
1. Disorderly, contemptuous or insolent behavior toward the Council or any member thereof, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
2. A breach of the peace, boisterous conduct or violent disturbance, tending to interrupt the due and orderly course of said meeting.
3. Disobedience of any lawful order of the Mayor which shall include an order to be seated or to refrain from addressing the Council.
4. Any other unlawful interference with the due and orderly course of the meeting.
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
NOVEMBER 17, 1998
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
6:30 P.M. CLOSED SESSION. See attached Brown Act Checklist.
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
NEXT RESOL. NO. 98-95
NEXT ORD. NO. 342
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Minutes of August 31 and October 20 and October 31, 1998. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Approve the minutes.
2. Claim against the City by Enzo Giobbe. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Reject the claim and direct the City Clerk to notify the claimant.
3. Claim against the City by Sara Gonzales. (Purcell)
Recommendation: Reject the claim and direct the City Clerk to notify the claimant.
4. Lease extension for former Recreation Building at City Hall by Palos Verdes on the Net. (Petru)
Recommendation: Authorize the extension of the lease agreement with Palos Verdes on the Net for the use of the former Recreation Building at City Hall until December 31, 2000.
5. Designation of Authorized Agents for FEMA Funding Purposes. (Huey)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 98- DESIGNATING AUTHORIZED AGENTS OF THE CITY TO EXECUTE DOCUMENTS FOR THE PURPOSE OF OBTAINING CERTAIN FEDERAL FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE AND/OR STATE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR STORM RELATED DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE FEBRUARY/MARCH 1995 WINTER STORMS.
6. Adoption of OES Forms 89 and 130 to streamline any future application(s) for Federal Disaster Assistance. (Petru)
Recommendation: (1) Adopt Resol. No. 98- , ADOPTING OED FORM 89, PRE-DESIGNATING CERTAIN CITY STAFF POSITIONS TO BE AUTHORIZED TO SIGN DISASTER-RELATED DOCUMENTS ON BEHALF OF THE CITY; AND (2) Adopt Resol. No. 98- , ADOPTING OES FORM 130, AGREEING TO COMPLY WITH APPLICABLE FEDERAL REGULATIONS REGARDING THE USE OF DISASTER ASSISTANCE FUNDS.
7. Revision to Area G - Office of Emergency Preparedness Joint Powers Agreement. (Petru)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the revised Joint Powers Agreement for Area G with the Office of Emergency Preparedness.
8. Professional Services Agreement - Home Improvement (Huey)
Recommendation: (1) Approve a professional services agreement with MDG Associates to provide services to establish a HOME Improvement Program and administer the program for the period November 17, 1998 to June 30, 1999 for a not-to- exceed amount of $20,000 for FY 1998-99. (2) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the agreement.
9. Contract Extension for Geotechnical Consulting Services. (Rojas)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the proposed agreements with Zeiser Kling Consultants, Inc. and Bing Yen and Associates, Inc. to provide geology and geotechnical engineering consulting services on an as-needed basis to the City.
10. Request to waive the $700 appeal fee for Site Plan Review No. 8311, Grading Permit No. 2048 and Sign Permit No. 961. Location: Highridge Car Wash, 27774 Hawthorne Boulevard (Appellant: Councilman John McTaggart). (Louie)
Recommendation: Grant the fee waiver as requested.
11. Project contingencies. (Allison)
Recommendation: (1) Receive and file the report on project contingencies for public works construction projects. (2) Approve the proposed project contingency schedule for future Public Works construction projects.
12. Register of Demands. (McLean)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 98- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES ALLOWING CERTAIN CLAIMS AND DEMANDS AND SPECIFYING FUNDS FROM WHICH THE SAME ARE TO BE PAID.
13. Computer Network Services Agreement with Palos Verdes on the Net. (Bowman)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to sign the Computer Network Services Agreement between the City and Palos Verdes on the Net.
14. Purchase of the HTE CitySoft Accounting System. (Burton)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to sign the Software License & Services Agreement with H.T.E., Inc. regarding the purchase of the HTE "CitySoft" accounting software and related hardware at a cost of approximately $96,200.
15. Increase in authorization for "On Call" Services for FY 1998-99. (Allison)
Recommendation: (1) Increase the authorization limit for "On Call" Fiscal Year 1998-99 Professional Service with Merit Civil Engineering from $35,000 to $60,000. (2) Increase the authorization limit for "On Call" Fiscal Year 1998-99 Professional Service with CBM Consultants from $20,000 to $50,000, and, (3) Increase the authorization limit for "On Call" Fiscal Year 1998-99 Professional Services with SA Associates from $15,000 to $30,000.
16. Appeal of the Planning Commission's approval of Grading Permit No. 1933 for a new, single-family residence at 30764 Tarapaca Road (Richards/El Prado Estates Homeowner's Association, ET AL.) (Fox)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 98- UPHOLDING THE APPEAL, OVERTURNING THE PLANNING COMMISSION'S DECISION AND DENYING GRADING PERMIT NO. 1933 WITHOUT PREJUDICE.
# # # # # # #
17. Appeal of the Planning Commission Approval of Site Plan Review No. 8311, Grading Permit No. 2048 and Sign Permit No. 961. Location: Highridge Car Wash, 27774 Hawthorne Boulevard (Applicant: Mr. Shiraz Govani; Appellant: Councilman John McTaggart). (Louie)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 98- , APPROVING THE APPEAL OF COUNCILMAN JOHN McTAGGART AND THEREBY MODIFYING THE PLANNING COMMISSION'S APPROVAL FOR SITE PLAN REVIEW NO. 8311, GRADING PERMIT NO. 2048 AND SIGN PERMIT NO. 961, SUBJECT TO CONDITIONS.
18. Negotiation of the Cable Television Franchise Renewal Agreement. (Carryover from November 4.) (Petru)
Recommendation: Direct staff and the City Attorney to initiate informal franchise renewal negotiations with Cox Communications, which will include: 1) a review of the City's future cable television needs; 2) the City Council providing general guidance on the major issues to be addressed in the renewal agreement; 3) staff and the City Attorney negotiating directly with the cable television operator on the franchise renewal agreement; and, 4) the City Council receiving periodic updates and providing additional input, as necessary.
19. Los Angeles County Regional Park and Open Space District Senior Center and Recreation Facilities Competitive Grant Program. (Park)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 98- ,A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES APPROVING A JOINT APPLICATION WITH THE CITY OF ROLLING HILLS ESTATES AND THE PENINSULA SENIORS FOR GRANT FUNDS FROM THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY REGIONAL PARK AND OPEN SPACE DISTRICT SENIOR CENTERS AND RECREATION FACILITIES COMPETITIVE GRANT PROGRAM.
20. Los Angeles County Regional Park & Open Space District Competitive Grant Program for Natural Lands Restoration. (Park)
Recommendation: Adopt Resol. No. 98- APPROVING THE APPLICATION FOR GRANT FUNDS FROM THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY REGIONAL PARK AND OPEN SPACE DISTRICT NATURAL LANDS RESTORATION COMPETITIVE GRANT PROGRAM.
21. Ocean Trails - Review of the East and West Vista Parks. (Pfost)
Recommendation: Approve the design of the Ocean Trails' East and West Vista Parks.
22. Point Vicente Interpretive Center (Allison)
Recommendation: (1) Award a professional services contract to Harris and Associates for a not-to-exceed amount of $141,802.50 for Construction Management Services for the Interpretive Center. (2) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute and agreement with Harris and Associates.
23. Fiscal Year 1997-98 Financial Audit. (McLean)
Recommendation: Receive and file the 1997-98 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.
24. Revegetation and Operations and Maintenance Plan for the Forrestal Property. (Evans)
Recommendation: Direct the Recreation & Parks Committee to work with the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy to Develop Revegetation and Operations and Maintenance Plans for the Forrestal Property and Shoreline Park.
25. View Preservation and Restoration Ordinance Revisions. (Evans)
Recommendation: Appoint a City Council Ad Hoc Committee for the purpose of developing recommendations for: (1) possible amendments to the ordinance and guidelines, and (2) methods to reduce costs of enforcement.
ORAL CITY COUNCIL REPORTS: (This section designated to oral reports from councilmembers who wish/need to report on Council assignments.)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments on items NOT on the agenda; each speaker is limited to three minutes.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place certain only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular meeting.
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA CHECKLIST
Based on Government Code Section 54954.5
(All Statutory References are to California Government
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
Initiation of Litigation:
G.C. 54956.9 (c)
One potential code enforcement case.
The City is considering whether to file litigation regarding a view restoration matter.