|Back To Agenda||Print Page|
FROM: JIM BELL, DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS
SUBJECT: FORRESTAL NATURE PRESERVE SWALE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT
STAFF COORDINATOR: BINDU VAISH, ASSISTANT ENGINEER
1. Approve the construction plans
2. Award a contract for the construction of the Forrestal Swale Drainage Improvements Project to Garcia Juarez Construction, Inc. for the contract bid amount of $358,700, and authorize staff to spend up to an additional $40,534 for possible extra work or unforeseen conditions, for a total authorization of $399,234.
3. Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute a contract with Garcia Juarez Construction, Inc.
4. Award a contract to Charles Abbott Associates (CAA), for the Construction Management, and Inspection services in an amount not to exceed $30,000.
5. Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute a contract with Charles Abbott Associates (CAA).
6. Adopt Resolution 2006-______, a resolution of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes amending resolution 2006-41, the budget appropriation for fiscal year 2006-07, for a budget adjustment to the city’s Capital Improvement Project Fund – Parks and Trails Maintenance.
7. Authorize the additional expenditure of up to $ 163,000 for Forrestal Swale Drainage Improvements Project. Funding to come from remaining Measure A grant money.
BACKGROUND / DISCUSSION
In 1996 the City acquired the Forrestal property and added it to its inventory of open space. In early 2000 a need for improvements to drainage facilities on the property was identified
Because the Forrestal property was acquired with Measure A funds, all maintenance activities are eligible for Measure A funding. Measure A project-funding plan was submitted to, and approved by, the County of Los Angeles; administrators of Measure A funds for $463,000.
On December 7, 2004 the City Council authorized spending $300,000 out of the $463,000 grant. So far $33,766 has been spent out of the $300,000 leaving a balance of $266,234.
Following are details of latest bid to complete the project:
At this point staff would like City council to authorize remaining $163,000 of the Measure A grant money to complete the project.
Contract for Construction
The current project was advertised and sealed bids were received and opened at 10:00 a.m. on July 10, 2006. Garcia Juarez Construction, Inc. submitted the lowest responsive bid of the two responsive bids received. The following table summarizes bids:
Contractor Base Bid Amount Bid Alternate 1 Total Bid Amount
References were contacted and reported satisfactory on projects. The bid documents and bonds (from a California surety company) are in order and their contractor’s license is current.
Construction Management and Inspection Services
Staff submitted a request for proposal to two firms, CBM Consulting Inc., and Charles Abbott Associates (CAA). Proposals have been reviewed and staff has concluded that both firms are equally qualified to perform the work. Based on qualifications, experience, and depth of understanding of the project, staff recommends award of a contract for construction management and inspection services to CAA.
Adopting the staff recommendation will appropriate funding to address needed drainage improvements at the Forrestal Nature Preserve.
Deny the recommended actions and do not repair the swales.
“Measure A” funding is available for the recommended action. If the City Council authorizes the additional expenditure, the measure A fund will recognize additional grant revenue of $163,000.
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY RANCHO PALOS VERDES AMENDING RESOLUTION NO. 2006-41, THE BUDGET APPROPRIATION FOR FISCAL YEAR 2006-2007, FOR A BUDGET ADJUSTMENT TO THE CITY’S CAPITAL PROJECTS FUND
WHEREAS, Section 3.32 of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Municipal Code
WHEREAS, on June 1, 2006, the City of Rancho Palos Verdes adopted
WHEREAS, it is advantageous to the City to allocate additional funds to the Forrestal Nature Preserve swale Improvement Project; and
WHEREAS, a budget increase in the Capital Improvement Projects Fund is necessary to authorize the expenditure of additional funds for the project.
BE IT, THEREFORE, RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES:
The following adjustments be made to the following funds:
1. Capital Improvement Projects Fund:
330-3033-461-73-00 Improvements $163,000
2. Measure A Fund
224-3024-431-91-00 Transfer to CIP $163,000
PASSED, APPROVED, AND ADOPTED THE 19th OF September 2006.
State of California )