RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
FEBRUARY 6, 2007
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
6:30 P.M. CLOSED SESSION: SEE ATTACHED BROWN ACT CHECK LIST FOR DETAILS.
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
ROLL CALL: NEXT RESOL. NO. 2007-10
NEXT ORDINANCE NO. 453
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
CEREMONIAL: Presentation by Ken Trevett from the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments for items NOT on the agenda.)
CITY MANAGER REPORT:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Motion to Waive Full Reading
Recommendation: Adopt a motion to waive reading in full of all ordinances presented at this meeting with consent of the waiver of reading deemed to be given by all Council Members after the reading of the title.
2. Approval of the Minutes (Petru)
Recommendation: Approve the minutes of January 8, 2007.
3. Border Issues Status Report (Fox)
Recommendation: Review the current status of border issues.
4. Request for Waiver of the Penalty Fees Related to an After-the-Fact Variance and Coastal Permit to Legalize a Non-Permitted Wall (Planning Case No. ZON2007-00012) (Fox)
Recommendation: Grant the requested waiver of the penalty fees in the amount of $1,482.00.
5. Approval of Membership for the City of San Gabriel in California JPIA (Petru)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor, as the City Council’s delegate to the California Joint Powers Insurance Agency, to vote in favor of the City of San Gabriel being accepted as a new member.
6. July 4th Independence Day Celebration Contractor (Rosenfeld)
Recommendation: Approve Bell Event Services as the production management company for the City’s annual July 4th Independence Day Celebration for a period of two years, and authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the agreement.
7. Tarapaca Landslide Status Update (Dragoo)
Recommendation: Receive a status update on the Tarapaca Landslide/25th Street Project.
8. Soil Cracks Investigation at San Ramon Stabilized Slope (Bell)
Recommendation: Award and authorize the Mayor to execute the contract in the amount not to exceed $4,100 with AMEC Earth & Environmental for geotechnical investigation regarding the soil cracks that have appeared at the top of the stabilized San Ramon slope.
9. September 2006 Treasurer’s Report (McLean)
Recommendation: Receive and file the September 2006 Treasurer’s Report for the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.
10. October 2006 Treasurer’s Report (McLean)
Recommendation: Receive and file the October 2006 Treasurer’s Report for the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.
11. November 2006 Treasurer’s Report (McLean)
Recommendation: Receive and file the November 2006 Treasurer’s Report for the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.
12. Register of Demands (McLean)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES ALLOWING CERTAIN CLAIMS AND DEMANDS AND SPECIFYING FUNDS FROM WHICH THE SAME ARE TO BE PAID.
# # # # # #
13. Revision to Planning Case No. ZON2004-00087 (Height Variation): Request to Modify a City Council Approved Project by Adding 38 Square Feet to the First and Second Floor, Change the Overall Architectural Design, and Alter the Garage Roof Design (Kim)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES DENYING THE REVISION TO HEIGHT VARIATION CASE NO. ZON2004-00087.
14. Revision “DD” to the Trump National Golf Course Project – Extension of the Opening of the Golf Course and Driving Range [Continued from January 16, 2007] (Pfost)
Recommendation: 1) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES APPROVING ADDENDUM NO. 24 TO ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT NO. 36; and 2) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES AMENDING GRADING PERMIT NO. 1541 TO ALLOW AN ADDITIONAL 2-MONTH EXTENSION TO THE OPERATION OF THE GOLF COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE.
15. Proposed Putting Green in Founders Park – Revision “DD” to the Trump National Golf Club Project [Continued from January 16, 2007] (Pfost)
Recommendation: Accept the Applicant’s request to withdraw this item.
16. Revision “BB” to the Trump National Golf Course - Request to Permit an “After-The-Fact” 70' Tall Flag Pole Located at the Back Tee of Hole #1 [Continued from January 16, 2007] (Pfost)
Recommendation: 1) Provide Direction to Staff and the Applicant on the four alternatives being presented by the Applicant to allow the flag pole to remain in conjunction with a publicly accessible viewing area; and 2) Continue the public hearing to a date certain to allow Staff and the Applicant additional time to prepare any necessary agreements and/or access easements and a Resolution approving the appeal.
PAUSE TO CONSIDER THE REMAINDER OF THE AGENDA:
REGULAR NEW BUSINESS:
17. Consider a Ban of On-Street Parking of All Vehicles (Dragoo)
Recommendation: Provide Public Works Staff with direction on proceeding with the on-street parking restriction ordinance for all vehicles.
18. Consider Obtaining Bid Proposals for Videostreaming and Permanent Archival of Digital Videostream Files (McLean)
Recommendation: Consider obtaining bid proposals for video streaming and permanent archival of digital video-stream files of City Council and Planning Commission meetings.
19. Consideration of an Ordinance of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Regulating Solicitation within the City (Lynch)
Recommendation: Read Ordinance No. , “AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES REGARDING SOLICITATION WITHIN THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES AND AMENDING THE RANCHO PALOS VERDES MUNICIPAL CODE” by title only, waive further reading, and introduce the ordinance.
20. City Council Succession Appointments (Park)
Recommendation: 1) Consider appointments selected by the City Council to serve as standby officers for each Councilmember, if Councilmembers are unavailable to perform their duties during a state of war emergency and state or local emergency; and, 2) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES APPOINTING STANDBY OFFICERS FOR THE CITY COUNCIL.
21. Channel 33 Governance (Bussey)
Recommendation: Assign the general management and oversight responsibilities for Channel 33 to the City Manager’s Office.
22. Council Meeting Schedule (Petru)
Recommendation: 1) Select two dates in March and April for the Budget Policy Issue Workshops; 2) Select two dates in May for the Budget Review Sessions; and 3) Select a date for the Spring Community Leaders' Breakfast meeting.
23. Determination Whether Indemnification Agreement Substantially Complies with the Conditions of Approval Imposed Upon the Terranea Project (Lynch)
Recommendation: Staff recommends that the City Council review the attached Indemnification Agreement and determine whether it substantially complies with Condition 167.
CITY COUNCIL ORAL REPORTS: (This section of the agenda is designated for oral reports from Council Members to report action taken at outside committee and association meetings.)
COUNCIL DISCUSSION OF FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS & SUGGESTION OF FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to Saturday, February 17, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. at Fred Hesse Community Park/Fireside and Activity Rooms for City Manager Candidate Interviews.
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA CHECKLIST
Based on Government Code Section 54954.5
(All Statutory References are to California Government Code Sections)
Conference with Legal Counsel
The City Council/Agency finds, based on advice from legal counsel, that discussion in open session will prejudice the position of the local agency in the litigation:
Name of Case: Monks v. City of Rancho Palos Verdes, Los Angeles County Superior Court. Case No. YS010425.
American with Disabilities Act: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, if you require a disability-related modification or accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please call the City Clerk’s Office at 310 544-5208 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
NOTE: Staff reports are available for inspection at City Hall, 30940 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours, 7:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday – Thursday and 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. on Friday. The agenda and staff reports can also be viewed at Hesse Community Park, 29301 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours: Monday – Friday from 9:00 A.M. until dusk; Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 A.M. until dusk.