RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
SPECIAL MEETING 6:30-7:00 P.M.
JUNE 19, 2007
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
6:30 P.M. SPECIAL MEETING: THE MAYOR HAS CALLED A SPECIAL MEETING TO BEGIN THE MEETING EARLIER DUE TO THE LARGE NUMBER OF AGENDA ITEMS. THE SPECIAL MEETING WILL COMMENCE AT 6:30 P.M., BUT NO PUBLIC HEARINGS WILL BE HELD UNTIL THE REGULAR MEETING BEGINS AT 7:00 P.M.
CALL TO ORDER:
ROLL CALL: NEXT RESOL. NO. 2007-66
NEXT ORDINANCE NO. 460
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments for items NOT on the agenda.)
CITY MANAGER REPORT: Update on the Trump Clubhouse Expansion and Eastview School District Boundary Adjustment
COUNCIL DISCUSSION OF FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS & SUGGESTION OF FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
A. EMERGENCY ROAD RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT
1. Palos Verdes Drive South Landslide (East End) Road Reconstruction (Bell)
Recommendation: Review and reconfirm by a four/fifths (4/5) vote, the Council’s previous action on June 5, 2007, authorizing staff to proceed with emergency repairs to the roadway along Palos Verdes Drive South within the Portuguese Bend Landslide.
B. OTHER CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS:
2. Motion to Waive Full Reading
Recommendation: Adopt a motion to waive reading in full of all ordinances presented at this meeting with consent of the waiver of reading deemed to be given by all Council Members after the reading of the title.
3. Approval of the Minutes (Morreale)
Recommendation: Approve the Minutes of the February 20, 2007 Regular Meeting and March 6, 2007 Regular Meeting.
4. Adopt Resolution for Residential Street Overlay and Slurry Seal Project (Area 9) (Vaish)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, AMENDING RESOLUTION NO. 2006-41, THE BUDGET APPROPRIATION FOR FISCAL YEAR 2006-2007, FOR A BUDGET ADJUSTMENT OF $75,000 TO THE CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECT (CIP) FUND AND THE GENERAL FUND.
5. Revisions to the Fourth Amendment to the Operating Agreement between the City and the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy (Fox)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor to sign a revised, amended Operating Agreement with the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy (PVPLC) to assign the habitat maintenance responsibility for the portions of the open space lots in the Oceanfront Estates community that are part of the Natural Communities Conservation Plan (NCCP) preserve to the PVPLC.
6. Energy Efficient Lighting Retrofit Contract (Park)
Recommendation: 1) Approve the Specifications and Instructions for Energy Efficient Lighting Retrofit Services; 2) Award Construction Contract to Sylvania Lighting Services, Inc. in the amount of $42,574 for the Energy Efficient Lighting Retrofit services and authorize an expenditure of up to $8,500 for possible extra work; and, 3) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the contract with Sylvania Lighting Services, Inc.
7. Traffic Engineering Services Contract (Motahari)
Recommendation: Award and authorize the Mayor to execute the contract in the amount not to exceed $46,900 with Priority Engineering Inc., to provide Traffic Engineering services for the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.
8. Case No. ZON2005-00536 (General Plan Amendment, Coastal Specific Plan Amendment, Zone Change, Vesting Tentative Tract Map No. 67532, Coastal Permit, Variance, Grading Permit [Lots 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5], Height Variation Application [Lots 3, 4, and 5], and Environmental Assessment) and ZON2006-00180 through 00182 (Height Variation for Lots 3 through 5); Property Owner: Dana Ireland; Site Address: West of Nantasket Drive, between Beachview Drive and Sea Cove Drive [APN:7573-014-013] (Sohn)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, DENYING CASE NO. ZON2005-00536.
9. Contract for Building and Safety Services (Rojas)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute a professional service agreement with Charles Abbott Associates Inc. to provide building inspection and plan check services to the City.
10. Extension of View Restoration Mediator and Arborist Professional Services Contracts (Rojas)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to: 1) Execute a professional services agreement with the View Restoration Arborist, Mr. David Hayes, for professional arboriculture services in an amount not to exceed $2,000 annually for two (2) years; and, 2) Renew the existing contract with the City’s View Restoration Mediator, Ms. Coleen Berg, for an amount not to exceed $40,000 annually for an additional two (2) years.
11. Contract Renewal for Geotechnical Consulting Services (Rojas)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the proposed agreement with Zeiser Kling Consultants, Inc. to provide geology and geotechnical engineering consulting services on an as-needed basis to the City for an additional two years.
12. Extension of Contract Service Agreement for On-Call Biological Consulting Services (Rojas)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute an extension of the professional service agreement with David Magney Environmental Consulting to provide on-call biological consulting services on an as-needed basis to the City for an additional one-year period.
13. City Maintenance Contract Extensions (Vaish)
Recommendation: Approve a three-year extension for Sidewalk Grinding to Central Coast Surface Grinding, Inc. (CCSG). Approve a one year extension for FY07-08 to Republic Electric for signal maintenance, Hardy & Harper for roadway maintenance, TruGreen Landscape for roadside and park & trail maintenance, West Coast Arborist for tree maintenance and Nationwide Environmental Services for street sweeping.
14. Purchase of Tax Defaulted Property (Petru)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to sign an Agreement to Purchase Tax-Defaulted Property for a 0.17-acre vacant parcel located at the end of East Crest Road, adjacent to the federal radar dome facility at San Pedro Hill.
15. 2.5% @ 55 Employee Retirement Formula Resolution of Intention (Petru)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- ; A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, ADOPTING A RESOLUTION OF INTENTION TO APPROVE AN AMENDMENT TO THE CONTRACT BETWEEN THE BOARD OF ADMINISTRATION OF THE CALIFORNIA PUBLIC EMPLOYEE’S RETIREMENT SYSTEM AND THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES FOR THE 2.5% @ 55 RETIREMENT BENEFIT FORMULA.
16. Register of Demands (McLean)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, ALLOWING CERTAIN CLAIMS AND DEMANDS AND SPECIFYING FUNDS FROM WHICH THE SAME ARE TO BE PAID.
# # # # # #
RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
REGULAR MEETING 7:00 P.M.
JUNE 19, 2007
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
7:00 P.M. REGULAR MEETING
17. Amendment to Revision "BB" to the Trump National Golf Course (Pfost)
Recommendation: Continue the public hearing to the July 17, 2007 Council meeting.
18. Code Amendment (Case No. ZON2006-00082): An Amendment to Title 17 (Zoning) to Preserve Opportunities for Future Horsekeeping in the City’s Equestrian Overlay (Q) Districts) [Continued from May 1, 2007] (Fox)
Recommendation: Introduce Ordinance No. ___, thereby adopting Addendum No. 16 to Environmental Assessment/Negative Declaration (EA/ND) No. 694 and approving the Planning Commission’s recommended ‘Q’ District Code Amendment (Case No. ZON2006-00082).
19. Adoption of the City Budget and Employee Salary Ranges for Fiscal Year 2007-2008 (Petru)-PDF
Attachement: FY07-08 COMBINED SUMMARY OF FUNDS-PDF
Recommendation: 1) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, APPROVING THE CITY BUDGET FOR FISCAL YEAR 2007-2008; and 2) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, ESTABLISHING SALARY AND HOURLY RANGES FOR COMPETITIVE AND MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE JOB CLASSIFICATIONS.
20. Annual Levy of Storm Drain User Fee (Fiscal Year 2007-08) (McLean/Lynch)
Attachments: Annual Report for the Storm Drain User Fee prepared by Harris & Associates, dated June 1, 2007 - PDF
Recommendation: 1) Conduct a public hearing pursuant to Health and Safety Code Section 5473.2 and Section 3.44.40 of the Rancho Palos Verdes Municipal Code on June 19, 2007 on the Annual Report prepared by Harris & Associates and information provided by Staff, and determine whether to collect the Storm Drain User Fee (the "Fee") for Fiscal Year 2007-08, and if so, the rate per Equivalent Residential Unit ("ERU") for Fiscal Year 2007-08; 2) At the conclusion of the Public Hearing determine the existence or absence of a majority protest; 3) In the absence of a majority protest, Staff recommends that the Council determine that the rate per ERU for Fiscal Year 2007-08 shall be the maximum rate of $87.72 as set forth in the Annual Report, ADOPT THE ATTACHED RESOLUTION NO. ___; A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, FINALLY ADOPTING A REPORT, AS FILED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE STORM DRAIN USER FEE ESTABLISHED PURSUANT TO CHAPTER 3.44 OF THE RANCHO PALOS VERDES MUNICIPAL CODE; DETERMINING THE AMOUNT OF SUCH FEE FOR FISCAL YEAR 2007-08; AND ORDERING THAT SUCH FEE BE COLLECTED ON THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES TAX ROLL FOR FISCAL YEAR 2007-08; and, 4) In the event of a majority protest, direct Staff to present to Council at a subsequent Council meeting a resolution determining the amount of the Storm Drain User Fee for Fiscal Year 2007-08 and providing for an alternative method of collecting the Storm Drain User Fee for Fiscal Year 2007-08.
21. Abalone Cove Sewer Maintenance Fee (Dragoo)
Recommendation: 1) Conduct the public hearing on the proposed levy and allocation of the annual sewer service charge for the Abalone Cove Sewer System for Fiscal Year 2007-2008; 2) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-___, A RESOLUTION OF THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, APPROVING A REPORT IN CONNECTION WITH THE SEWER SERVICE CHARGE ESTABLISHED PURSUANT TO CHAPTER 13.06 OF THE RANCHO PALOS VERDES MUNICIPAL CODE, DETERMINING THE AMOUNT OF SUCH CHARGE FOR FISCAL YEAR 2007-2008, AND ORDERING THAT SUCH CHARGE BE COLLECTED ON THE TAX ROLL.
PAUSE TO CONSIDER THE REMAINDER OF THE AGENDA:
REGULAR NEW BUSINESS:
22. 2007 Five-Year Financial Model (Downs/Gyves)
Attachment: Five-Year Financial Model Attachments-PDF
Recommendation: 1) Receive and file the 2007 Five-Year Financial Model;
2) Based on the needs of the City and the analysis of revenues derived from the Utility Users Tax required by Municipal Code Section 3.30.190 annually, determine that the current Utility Users Tax rate of 3% continues to be a necessary General Fund revenue source and the current rate of 3% should be maintained; and 3) Based on the needs of the City and the analysis of revenues derived from the Golf Tax required by Municipal Code Section 3.40.140 every four years, determine that the current Golf Tax rate of 10% continues to be a necessary General Fund revenue source and the current rate of 10% should be maintained and 4) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, AMENDING RESOLUTION NO. 2006-41, THE BUDGET APPROPRIATION FOR FY06-07, TO INCREASE THE GENERAL FUND REVENUE BUDGET OF THE CITY by a total of $350,000 ($150,000 for Property Tax and $200,000 for Property Tax In-Lieu of VLF Revenues).
23. Channel 33 Business Plan, Operating Policies and Proposed Budget FY2007/08 and 2008/09 (Lehr/Holt)
Recommendation: Provide staff with direction regarding the City Manager’s issues regarding 1) Governance; 2) JPA Governance and Contributory Funding; 3) Franchise Fees; 4) Adoption of Channel 33 Operating Budget for FY 07-08; 5) Approval of Channel 33 Production, Programming and Operational Policies and Procedures; 6) Approval of Channel 33 Business Plan; 7) Role of Channel 33 Cable TV/Cox Contract Renewal Subcommittee; and Provide direction regarding Items 8, 9, and 10 added by Councilman Gardiner.
24. Item removed from the Agenda.
25. Upper Point Vicente Civic Center Site Analysis (Lehr)
Recommendation: Council to direct the City Manager to engage professional services to evaluate baseline conditions at Upper Point Vicente as a tool for master planning of the Civic Center site. The City Manager is authorized to enter into agreements that do not exceed $80,000 total, plus a $10,000 contingency.
26. Ordinance Amending the Storm Drain User Fee to Shorten the Duration of the Fee from Thirty Years to Ten Years and to Establish a Resident Oversight Committee to be Placed on the Ballot for the November 6, 2007 General Municipal Election (Lynch)
Recommendation: Review the Attached Ordinance and Direct Staff to Place it on the Ballot for the November 6, 2007 Election.
27. November 6, 2007 General Municipal Election (Morreale/Lynch)
Recommendation: 1) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, CALLING AND GIVING NOTICE OF THE HOLDING OF A GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2007, FOR THE ELECTION OF CERTAIN OFFICERS AS REQUIRED BY THE PROVISIONS OF THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA RELATING TO GENERAL LAW CITIES AND FOR THE SUBMISSION TO THE VOTERS A MEASURE RELATING TO THE AMENDMENT OF THE CITY’S EXISTING STORM DRAIN USER FEE ORDINANCE AND A MEASURE RELATING TO THE REPEAL OF THE CITY’S EXISTING STORM DRAIN USER FEE ORDINANCE; 2) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, REQUESTING THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES TO CONSOLIDATE A GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION OF SAID CITY TO BE HELD ON NOVEMBER 6, 2007, WITH THE SCHOOL DISTRICT AND LIBRARY DISTRICT ELECTIONS TO BE HELD ON SAID DATE PURSUANT TO SECTION 10403 OF THE ELECTIONS CODE; 3) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, ADOPTING REGULATIONS FOR CANDIDATES FOR ELECTIVE OFFICE, PERTAINING TO CANDIDATES’ STATEMENTS SUBMITTED TO THE VOTERS AND THE COSTS THEREOF FOR THE GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION TO BE HELD IN SAID CITY ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2007; 4) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, PROVIDING FOR THE FILING OF REBUTTAL ARGUMENTS FOR CITY MEASURES SUBMITTED AT THE NOVEMBER 6, 2007 GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION; 5) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, SETTING PRIORITIES FOR FILING WRITTEN ARGUMENTS REGARDING AN INITIATIVE MEASURE AND DIRECTING THE CITY ATTORNEY TO PREPARE AN IMPARTIAL ANALYSIS; 6) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, SETTING PRIORITIES FOR FILING WRITTEN ARGUMENTS REGARDING A CITY MEASURE AND DIRECTING THE CITY ATTORNEY TO PREPARE AN IMPARTIAL ANALYSIS; and, 7) Council to consider whether to appoint a subcommittee to draft ballot arguments.
28. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Contract (Petru)
Recommendation: 1) Authorize the Mayor to sign the FY 07-08 Services for the Peninsula Region (Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills and Rolling Hills Estates); and, 2) Authorize the City Manager to sign the FY 07-08 Rancho Palos Verdes Deployment Survey with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
CITY COUNCIL ORAL REPORTS: (This section of the agenda is designated for oral reports from Council Members to report action taken at outside committee and association meetings.)
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place certain only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular meeting.
American with Disabilities Act: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, if you require a disability-related modification or accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please call the City Clerk’s Office at 310 544-5208 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
NOTE: Staff reports are available for inspection at City Hall, 30940 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours, 7:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday – Thursday and 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. on Friday. The agenda and staff reports can also be viewed at Hesse Community Park, 29301 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours: Monday – Friday from 9:00 A.M. until dusk; Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 A.M. until dusk.
You can also view the agenda and staff reports at the City’s website www.palosverdes.com/RPV.