RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
AUGUST 21, 2007
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
5:00 P.M. INTERVIEW MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS FOR ORGANIZATION- WIDE MANAGEMENT ASSESSMENT
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
ROLL CALL: NEXT RESOL. NO. 2007-91
NEXT ORDINANCE NO. 463
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments for items NOT on the agenda.)
CITY MANAGER REPORT: 1) Update on Organization-Wide Management Assessment
2) Report on Changing Conditions on Palos Verdes Drive
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
A. EMERGENCY ROAD RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT
1. Palos Verdes Drive South Landslide (East End) Road Reconstruction (Bell)
Recommendation: Review and reconfirm by a four/fifths (4/5) vote, the Council’s previous action on June 5, 2007, authorizing staff to proceed with emergency repairs to the roadway along Palos Verdes Drive South within the Portuguese Bend Landslide.
B. OTHER CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS:
2. Motion to Waive Full Reading
Recommendation: Adopt a motion to waive reading in full of all ordinances presented at this meeting with consent of the waiver of reading deemed to be given by all Council Members after the reading of the title.
3. Approval of the Minutes (Morreale)
Recommendation: Approve the Minutes of the May 15, 2007 Regular Meeting and May 29, 2007 Regular Meeting.
4. Adoption of Ordinance No. 462 - Code Amendment (Case No. ZON2004-00265): Cargo Container Code Amendment (Fox)
Recommendation: ADOPT ORDINANCE NO. 462, AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, AMENDING CHAPTERS 15.04 AND 15.20 OF TITLE 15 AND CHAPTERS 17.32, 17.56, 17.76 AND 17.96 OF TITLE 17 OF THE CITY’S MUNICIPAL CODE (CASE NO. ZON2004-00265) TO ESTABLISH REGULATIONS FOR THE USE OF CARGO CONTAINERS ON PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PROPERTY.
5. Claim Against the City by Joe Badame and Martha De La Torre (Park)
Recommendation: Reject the claim and direct staff to notify the claimants.
6. Claim Against the City by Gregory and Nancy McCarthy (Park)
Recommendation: Reject the claim and direct staff to notify the claimant.
7. Contract Addendum No. 1 for the Marymount College Facilities Expansion Environmental Impact Report (30800 Palos Verdes Drive East) (Mihranian)
Attachment: Addendum Acceptance-PDF
Attachment: Addendum Exhibit-PDF
Recommendation: Approve Contract Addendum No. 1 to the Agreement for Consulting Services between the City of Rancho Palos Verdes and Robert Bein, William Frost & Associates (RBF) for the preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project, in the amount of $45,843.00.
8. Agreement to Transfer Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Funds from the City of Rolling Hills to the City of Rancho Palos Verdes for FY 2007-2008 (Bell)
Recommendation: 1) Accept the transfer of $10,684 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Funds for FY 2007-2008 from the City of Rolling Hills; 2) ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, APPROVING AND AUTHORIZING AN ASSIGNMENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE CITY OF ROLLING HILLS AND THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES REGARDING THE TRANSFER OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT FUNDS FOR FY 2007-2008; 3) Authorize the City Manager and City Clerk to execute the Agreement with the City of Rolling Hills, which has been reviewed and approved by the City Attorney; and, 4)ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, AMENDING RESOLUTION NO. 2007-70, THE BUDGET APPROPRIATION FOR FY 07-08, FOR A BUDGET ADJUSTMENT OF $10,684 TO THE CITY’S COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT FUND.
9. Award of Contract for Services to Prepare an Amendment to the General Plan Housing Element (Schonborn)-PDF
Recommendation: Authorize Staff to execute a professional services agreement for the Mayor’s signature in an amount not to exceed $25,700.00 with Castañeda & Associates to prepare an amendment to the City’s General Plan Housing Element.
10. Area G Veterinary Disaster Team MOU (Park)
Recommendation: Authorize the City Manager to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Area G Veterinary Disaster Team for emergency animal sheltering and animal triage support services.
11. Purchase of Replacement Photocopiers (Petru)
Recommendation: Confirm the purchase of three replacement photocopiers from Oce Imagistics, Inc.
12. Register of Demands (McLean)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2007- , A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, ALLOWING CERTAIN CLAIMS AND DEMANDS AND SPECIFYING FUNDS FROM WHICH THE SAME ARE TO BE PAID.
# # # # # #
Mossbank Storm Drain Rehabilitation
1. Based on the facts set forth in this report, find that an emergency exists which will not permit a delay from a competitive solicitation for bids and that the actions taken below are necessary to respond to the emergency.
2. Authorize the Director of Public Works to approve a Change Order to an existing contract with Hardy and Harper Inc., to remove and replace a failed, existing storm drain line approximately 70 feet in length and construct an outlet structure at the terminus of the line.
3. Adopt Resolution 2007-___, a resolution of the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes amending resolution 2007-70, the budget appropriation for fiscal year 2007-08, for a budget adjustment in the amount of $170,000 to the City’s Water Quality and Flood Protection Program.
4. Authorize the expenditure of up to $199,000 for the storm drain rehabilitation and outlet structure construction work.
13. Code Amendments (Case Nos. ZON2007-00076 and ZON2007-00311): Miscellaneous Amendments to Title 17 (Zoning) of the City’s Municipal Code to:
1) Waive Duplicate Penalty Fees for After-The-Fact Planning Applications in Certain Specified Circumstances; 2) Expedite Planning Review and Exempt the Reconstruction of Single-Family Residences that are Damaged or Destroyed by Fire from the City’s Neighborhood Compatibility Requirements; 3) Revise the Noise and Vibration Standards from the City’s Attached Unit Development Standards; 4) Add a Requirement for the Construction of Temporary Framework Silhouettes for Multi-Family Residential, Commercial, Institutional and Cemetery Projects Requiring Approval of a Conditional Use Permit; and, 5) Clarify the Development Standards for Legal, Vacant Extreme-Slope Lots (Fox) - PDF
Recommendation: INTRODUCE ORDINANCE NO. ___, AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, AMENDING MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS OF CHAPTERS 17.02, 17.06, 17.48, 17.60, 17.78 AND 17.84 OF TITLE 17 (ZONING) OF THE CITY’S MUNICIPAL CODE (CASE NOS. ZON2007-00076 AND ZON2007-00311).
8:30 P.M. CLOSED SESSION: SEE ATTACHED BROWN ACT CHECK LIST FOR
PAUSE TO CONSIDER THE REMAINDER OF THE AGENDA:
REGULAR NEW BUSINESS:
14. Appointment to the Finance Advisory Committee (Morreale)
Recommendation: Make an appointment to the Finance Advisory Committee to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Becky Clark; said term of office until February 2010.
15. Construction-Related Issues Regarding 28951 Palos Verdes Drive East (Rojas)
Recommendation: Receive and file, and provide direction to Staff as deemed appropriate.
16. Emergency Supplies Management Plan (Park)-PDF
Recommendation: 1) Consider approving the proposed emergency supply management plan and inventory for project implementation; and, 2) Consider authorizing the Mayor to sign a letter addressed to Supervisor Don Knabe requesting financial assistance for the project.
17. Outsourcing of RPV City Information Technology System and Services (Gardiner)-PDF
Recommendation: Issue an RFP to outsource the City of Rancho Palos Verdes’ Information Technology System and Services.
18. Confirmation of Vision Plan/PUMP City Council Public Workshop Dates (Mihranian)
Recommendation: 1) Confirm Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 9:30 a.m. at Pt. Vicente Interpretive Center (PVIC) as the date, time and location for the Public/City Council workshop to review the proposed concepts for the RPV Vision Plan, including proposals for Upper Pt. Vicente (non-preserve area), Lower Pt. Vicente, Abalone Cove, Del Cerro Park and the Portuguese Bend Equestrian Park in the Active Recreation Area, an overall signage concept plan for the Preserve, and the designs for recognition sites designated by the Council for donors to the acquisition; and, 2) Confirm Saturday, November 10, 2007, at 9:30 a.m. at PVIC as the date, time and location for the Public/City Council workshop to review the proposed Public Use Master Plan (PUMP) for the City’s Portuguese Bend Nature Preserve, including the trail location, trail use and user group recommendations of the City Council appointed PUMP Committee.
19. Consider Appointment of a Delegate to the Municipal Area Express (MAX) Transit Policy Steering Committee (Morreale)
Recommendation: Consider the appointment of a delegate to represent the City on the MAX Transit Policy Steering Committee.
20. Adoption of Ordinance for 2.5% @ 55 Contract Amendment with CALPERS (Petru)
Recommendation: ADOPT ORDINANCE NO. 461, AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, AUTHORIZING AN AMENDMENT TO THE CONTRACT BETWEEN THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES AND THE BOARD OF ADMINISTRATION OF THE CALIFORNIA PUBLIC EMPLOYEES’ RETIREMENT SYSTEM FOR THE 2.5% @ 55 RETIREMENT FORMULA.
CITY COUNCIL ORAL REPORTS: (This section of the agenda is designated for oral reports from Council Members to report action taken at outside committee and association meetings.)
COUNCIL DISCUSSION & SUGGESTION OF FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to Tuesday, September 4, 2007 at 6:00 P.M. for a National Incident Management System (NIMS) Executive Training Session in the Fireside Room at Hesse Park.
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA CHECKLIST
Based on Government Code Section 54954.5
(All Statutory References are to California Government Code Sections)
Conference with Legal Counsel
The City Council/Agency finds, based on advice from legal counsel, that discussion in open session will prejudice the position of the local agency in the litigation:
Conference with Real Property Negotiators
Potential purchase of open space:
Property: Filiorum: APN 7572-012-024, 7572-012-028, 7572-012-029, 7573-003-016, 7581-023-031, 7581-023-029, 7572-002-022
City Negotiators: City Manager; City Attorney; Mayor Pro Tem Stern; Director of Planning, Building and Code Enforcement; Mike Kilroy; Barbara Dye and Bill Swank
Negotiating Parties: York Long Point Associates
Under Negotiation: Price and Terms of Payment
American with Disabilities Act: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, if you require a disability-related modification or accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please call the City Clerk’s Office at 310 544-5208 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
NOTE: Staff reports are available for inspection at City Hall, 30940 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours, 7:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday – Thursday and 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. on Friday. The agenda and staff reports can also be viewed at Hesse Community Park, 29301 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours: Monday – Friday from 9:00 A.M. until dusk; Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 A.M. until dusk.
You can also view the agenda and staff reports at the City’s website www.palosverdes.com/RPV.