RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
ADJOURNED REGULAR MEETING
APRIL 29, 2008
FRED HESSE COMMUNITY PARK, 29301 HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD
7:00 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
ROLL CALL: NEXT RESOL. NO. 2008-28
NEXT ORDINANCE NO. 471
CEREMONIAL: Certificate of Appreciation for Deputy Knox
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments for items NOT on the agenda.)
CITY MANAGER REPORT:
APPROVAL OF CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. Motion to Waive Full Reading
Recommendation: Adopt a motion to waive reading in full of all ordinances presented at this meeting with consent of the waiver of reading deemed to be given by all Council Members after the reading of the title.
2. Approval of the Minutes (Morreale)
Recommendation: Approve the Minutes of the January 29, 2008 Special Meeting (Interviews) and March 4, 2008 Adjourned Regular Meeting.
3. Crossing Guard Services for 2008-2009 School Year: Amendment to Contract with All City Management Services (Petru)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute an amendment to the agreement with All City Management Services, Inc. (ACMS), for an amount not to exceed $17,253.00 to provide crossing guard services at Miraleste Intermediate School and Silver Spur Elementary School for the 2008-2009 School Year.
4. Grant for Seat Belt Compliance Campaign (Petru)
Recommendation: Authorize the City to act as the pass-through agency for a $3,500 grant awarded to the Lomita Sheriff’s Station by the State Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) for the 2008 Seat Belt Compliance Campaign.
5. Records Retention and Destruction Schedules (Morreale)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2008-__, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, AMENDING CITY DOCUMENT RETENTION SCHEDULES AND AUTHORIZING THE DESTRUCTION OF CERTAIN CITY RECORDS AS PROVIDED BY SECTION 34090 OF THE CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT CODE.
6. Municipal Area Express (MAX) Inter-Agency Agreement (Huey)
Recommendation: 1) Authorize the City of Rancho Palos Verdes to continue its participation in the commuter transportation transit service, known as Municipal Area Express (MAX) for the period of July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2011; and,
2) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the Agreement for MAX Commuter Bus Service on behalf of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes.
7. Pavement Striping Maintenance Project (Vaish)
Recommendation: Authorize a change to the contract with PCI for the subject project to increase the amount of the contract up to an additional $20,000 annually for extraordinary work. The revised contract amount will be up to $70,000 annually.
8. Continuation of Funding for the City/Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy (PVPLC) State Lobbyist (Rojas)
Recommendation: Approve a budget adjustment for $18,000 to fund the services of Mr. Joseph Caves of Conservation Strategy Group for the 2008 calendar year as an advocate of the City for securing state monies for the City’s continuing open space acquisitions.
9. Award Construction Contract – Landscape Maintenance Parks and Trails (Dragoo)
Recommendation: 1) Award a three-year contract for parks and trails landscape maintenance services to Marina Landscape, Inc., in an amount equal to $186,720; 2) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute a contract with Marina Landscape, Inc.; and, 3) Authorize the expenditure of up to $186,720 for Fiscal Year 2008-2009.
10. Award Construction Contract – Roadside Maintenance (Dragoo)
Recommendation: 1) Award a three-year contract for roadside maintenance services to Merchants Landscape Services, Inc., in an amount equal to $183,040; 2) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute a contract with Merchants Landscape Services, Inc.; and, 3) Authorize the expenditure of up to $183,040 for Fiscal Year 2008-2009.
11. Award Construction Contract and Construction Management Professional Services Contract - McCarrell Canyon Storm Drain Project (Braatvedt)
Recommendation: 1) Approve Item 1 to Award a Construction Contract to Cedro Construction, Inc., for the base bid in the amount of $5,866,189;
2) Approve Item 2 to Award a Professional Services Contract to Simplus Management Corporation for the construction management and observation of the McCarrell Canyon Storm Drain Project; and, 3) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the contracts with Cedro Construction, Inc., Simplus Management Corporation, and Kleinfelder.
12. Register of Demands (McLean)
Recommendation: ADOPT RESOLUTION NO. 2008-___, A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RANCHO PALOS VERDES, ALLOWING CERTAIN CLAIMS AND DEMANDS AND SPECIFYING FUNDS FROM WHICH THE SAME ARE TO BE PAID.
12A. Professional Services Agreement RPV TV Channel 33 Acting Station Manager Contract Extension (Lehr)
Recommendation: Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to sign an extension of the existing Professional Services Agreement with Mark Doddy to provide Station Manager duties on an interim basis.
12B. Palos Verdes High School Pool Project Grant (Petru)
Recommendation: 1) Reconfirm the City Council’s March 7, 2006 pledge to contribute $20,000 towards the construction of the new swimming pool at Palos Verdes High School; and 2) Authorize staff to complete the contribution to the Sea King Capital Project using Environmental Excise Tax funds.
# # # # # #
13. Appeal of a Height Variation, Grading Permit, Site Plan Review and Extreme Slope Permit (Case No. ZON2007-00179) (5329 Bayridge Road) [Continued from March 18, 2008] (Kim)
Recommendation: Continue the public hearing to the May 20, 2008 City Council Meeting.
PAUSE TO CONSIDER THE REMAINDER OF THE AGENDA:
REGULAR NEW BUSINESS:
14. Palos Verdes Nature Preserve – Public Use Master Plan (PUMP) Preserve Trails Plan (PTP) (Mihranian)
Recommendation: 1) Review the PUMP Committee’s recommended trail routes and trail uses, as identified in the proposed Public Trails Plan, and if deemed acceptable, approve the Public Trails Plan for each of the following four reserves: a) Abalone Cove Reserve, b) Three Sisters Reserve, c) San Ramon Reserve and, d) Ocean Trails Reserve; 2) Review, and if deemed acceptable, approve the trail routes located within the Preserve identified as segments of the City’s Palos Verdes Loop Trail system and the City’s Coastal Access Trail system; and, 3) Direct Staff to prepare the appropriate code amendment language to Section 12.16.080 of the RPV Municipal Code to establish a tiered penalty system for violators of the Preserve Trail Plan.
15. Review of Job Descriptions and Personnel Chart (Petru)
Recommendation: 1) Review the job descriptions for Senior Accountant in the Finance/IT Department and Senior Administrative Analyst in the Public Works Department; and, 2) Authorize staff to proceed with recruitments to fill these two positions.
CITY COUNCIL ORAL REPORTS: (This section of the agenda is designated for oral reports from Council Members to report action taken at outside committee and association meetings.)
COUNCIL DISCUSSION & SUGGESTION OF FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to a time and place certain only if you wish to meet prior to the next regular meeting.
American with Disabilities Act: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, if you require a disability-related modification or accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please call the City Clerk’s Office at 310 544-5208 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
NOTE: Staff reports are available for inspection at City Hall, 30940 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours, 7:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday – Thursday and 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. on Friday. The agenda and staff reports can also be viewed at Hesse Community Park, 29301 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours: Monday – Friday from 9:00 A.M. until dusk; Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 A.M. until dusk.
You can also view the agenda and staff reports at the City’s website www.palosverdes.com/RPV.