RANCHO PALOS VERDES CITY COUNCIL
TEAM BUILDING SESSION
ADJOURNED REGULAR MEETING
MARCH 14, 2012
SALVATION ARMY COLLEGE FOR OFFICER TRAINING
30840 HAWTHORNE BLVD.
BUILDING C – CLASSROOM 2
6:00 P.M. DINNER
6:30 P.M. REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER:
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
PUBLIC COMMENTS: (This section of the agenda is for audience comments for items NOT on the agenda.)
REGULAR NEW BUSINESS:
1. Overview of Program (Oral Report)
• Purpose – Mayor
• Overview of Agenda – Len
Recommendation: Receive and file.
2. The Strength Deployment Inventory (Oral Report)
• This management assessment helps Councilmembers and Staff identify their characteristic strengths when working with colleagues.
Recommendation: Discuss and identify characteristic strengths.
3. What Makes Rancho Palos Verdes Unique? (Oral Report)
• Identification of tangible and intangible characteristics that make the City of Rancho Palos Verdes unique will be identified.
Recommendation: Discuss and identify characteristics that make the City of
Rancho Palos Verdes unique.
4. Visioning (Oral Report)
• Councilmembers will create and present their vision of the City ten years from today. Visions will be presented on enlarged city maps.
Recommendation: Discuss, create and present visions of the City.
5. Assessing City Council Effectiveness
• Councilmembers will complete the Assessing City Council Effectiveness Questionnaire. This survey has been used at the National League of Cities and the League of California Cities for team building sessions. A comparative database of over 900 Councilmember responses has been compiled for comparative purposes.
Recommendation: Complete questionnaire and return to Facilitator.
6. Proposed Revisions to the City Council Rules of Procedure
Recommendation: Mayor Misetich recommends that this item be removed from the agenda and placed on the planned adjourned regular Council meeting on Wednesday, March 21. The Staff Report prepared for this item, Proposed Revisions to the City Council Rules of Procedure, was issued prematurely, as the draft was not reviewed as to format and content by the Council Subcommittee. As such, it did not reflect the intent of the Subcommittee’s proposal for rules of governance, and it will be revised accordingly. To allow adequate time for the Subcommittee to review and finalize this item, the Council Rules and Protocol Subcommittee of Mayor Misetich and Councilwoman Brooks recommends that this item be removed and re-agendized.
10:30 P.M. Closing Thoughts and Recommendations for Follow-Up Actions
ADJOURNMENT: Adjourn to Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 6:00 P.M. for an Adjourned Regular Meeting for Day 2 of the Team Building Session to be held at The Salvation Army College for Officer Training.
American with Disabilities Act: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, if you require a disability-related modification or accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please call the City Clerk’s Office at 310 544-5208 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
NOTE: Staff reports are available for inspection at City Hall, 30940 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours, 7:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday – Thursday and 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. on Friday. The agenda and staff reports can also be viewed at Hesse Community Park, 29301 Hawthorne Boulevard during regular business hours: Monday – Friday from 9:00 A.M. until dusk; Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 A.M. until dusk.
Written materials, including emails, submitted to the City are public records and may be posted on the City’s website. In addition, City meetings may be televised and may be accessed through the City's website. Accordingly, you may wish to omit personal information from your oral presentation or written materials as it may become part of the public record regarding an agendized item.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the City Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the front counter of the lobby of the City Hall Administration Building at 30940 Hawthorne Boulevard, Rancho Palos Verdes during normal business hours.
You can also view the agenda and staff reports at the City’s website www.palosverdes.com/RPV.