- Keep a collar, current license and up-to date ID tags on your pet at all times. Consider having your pet micro-chipped.
- Make sure your pet is comfortable being in a crate, box, cage, or carrier for transport.
- Keep an updated list of trusted neighbors who could assist your animals in case of an emergency.
- Tighten and secure latches on birdcages.
- Fasten down aquariums on low stands or tables.
Make a Go-bag for each pet. Include:
- Sturdy leashes and pet carriers. A pillowcase is a good option for transporting cats and other small animals. Muzzles for dogs. Food, potable water and medicine for at least one week.
- Non-spill bowls, manual can opener and plastic lid.
- Plastic bags, litter box and litter.
- Recent photo of each pet.
- Names and phone numbers of your emergency contact, emergency veterinary hospitals and animal shelters.
- Copy of your pet's vaccination history and any medical problems.
- Portable fencing or baby gates.
- Remember that animals react differently under stress. Keep dogs securely leashed and transport cats in carriers or pillowcases.
- If your pet is lost, contact the nearest animal shelter to report your pet missing. When it is safe, return to your neighborhood to search and distribute "Lost Pet" posters; include a current picture of your pet.
Locate all your animals and keep them with you. Be aware that shelters will only allow service animals. In a large-scale disaster, animal shelters will be set up when possible.
If you must leave your pets behind:
- Inform animal rescue workers of your pets' status: On your front door or in a highly visible window, use chalk, paint or marker to write the number and types of pets in your residence. Include their location in your home and the date that you evacuated.
- Leave plenty of water in a large, open container that cannot be tipped over.
- Leave plenty of food in timed feeders to prevent your pet from overeating.
- Do not tie up your pet in your home.
LA County Animal Care and Control: 310-523-9566 and/or http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/acc