Storm / Flooding
Severe storms can cause landslides, flooding, uprooted trees, and downed utility lines. During the rainy season, you can pick up filled sand bags at the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Public Works Department at 30940 Hawthorne Boulevard, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275, 310-544-5252, Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
You must be a City of Rancho Palos Verdes resident. There is a limit of 10 sandbags per home and residents are responsible for loading and transporting their own bags (on weekends there is a limited amount of filled sand bags available for pick near the Rancho Palos Verdes City Hall located at the address above).
- Tune to KNX 1070 AM or local TV channels for emergency advisories and instructions.
- If water has entered a garage or basement, do not walk through it – it may contain hazardous materials.
- Do not try to drive over a flooded road. If your car stalls, abandon it immediately. Attempting to move a stalled vehicle in flood conditions can be fatal.
- If you are asked to leave your property, disconnect all electrical appliances.
- Do not walk through moving water. Six inches of moving water can make you fall. If you must walk in water, walk where the water is not moving. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
- Stay clear of water that is in contact with downed power lines.
- Do not allow children to play around high water, storm drains or any flooded areas.
- If you are asked to leave your property, shut off electric circuits. If advised by your local utility, shut off gas service as well.
- LA County Fire Department Sandbags Locations Matrix