Rancho Palos Verdes Recreation and Parks Facility Information Rancho Palos Verdes Recreation and Parks Facility Information Rancho Palos Verdes Recreation and Parks Facility Information


Q.) What are the park hours?

A.)  All parks in the City may be enjoyed from dawn to dusk daily.
City park facilities are closed on January 1, Thanksgiving Day, December 24 and 25.
City personnel are on-site and park gates are open during the following hours: 

School-Year Park Hours
Abalone Cove Shoreline Park
Mon. - Fri. 12:00p.m. - 4:00p.m.
Sat. & Sun. 9:00a.m. - 4:00p.m.

Fred Hesse Community Park
Mon. - Fri.  9:00a.m. - dusk
Sat. & Sun.  10:00a.m. - dusk

Ladera Linda Community Center
Mon., Wed., Fri.  1:00p.m. - 5:00p.m.
Sat. & Sun.  1:00p.m. - 5:00p.m.

Point Vicente Interpretive Center (museum)
Daily   10:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.

Robert E. Ryan Community Park
Mon. – Fri.  12:00p.m. - dusk
Sat. & Sun. 10:00a.m. - dusk

Summer Park Hours
Abalone Cove Shoreline Park
Daily  9:00a.m. - 4:00p.m.

Fred Hesse Community Park
Mon.  – Fri.  9:00a.m. - dusk
Sat. & Sun.  10:00a.m. - dusk

Ladera Linda Community Park
Mon. – Fri  1:00 p.m. - 5:00p.m.
Sat. & Sun.  10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Point Vicente Interpretive Center (museum)
Daily  10:00 a.m. – 5:00p.m.

2. Q.) Are dogs allowed in the parks?
A.) Yes, except for Abalone Cove Shoreline Park. They must, however, be kept on a leash (six feet or shorter) and owners must clean up after their pets.
3. Q.) How do I find out about programs for senior citizens?
A.) Please call the Peninsula Seniors at (310) 377-3003 or click here to go to the web site for the Peninsula Seniors at http://www.pvseniors.org/_home.cfm
4. Q.) What recreation classes are available through the City?
A.)Although the City does not conduct recreation classes, we do rent park facilities to instructors who offer privatized recreation classes. Information about recreation classes can be picked up at Hesse Park. Call (310) 541-8114 or click here for more information.
5. Q.) What are the phone numbers for Ernie Howlett Park and Highridge Park? Where are these parks located?
A.) Both of parks are located in the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Please call (310) 377-1577 for more information.
6. Q.) Is there a public pool on the Peninsula?
A.) There is no year-round public pool on the Peninsula. Swimming and lessons are offered during the summer at several locations on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

7. Q.) Where can I swim or take lessons locally in the summer?
     A.) Locations and phone numbers of some summer swim programs are listed below.
The San Pedro & Peninsula YMCA operates summer swim programs at its own indoor pool.  If you would like more information about specific classes, please call (310) 832-4211 or you can check their website at: http://www.ymcala.org/sanpedro/programs/320-Aquatics.html

Peninsula Bay Cities offers summer day camps and swim programs at Marymount College.  They can be reached at (310) 541-3664 or you can check their website at http://www.peninsuladaycamp.com/day_camp_programs-swim_school.php

8. Q.) How can I sign up my children for sports, i.e., soccer, basketball, etc?
A.) To review the City’s schedule of privatized recreational classes, click here. Another excellent source for youth sports information is in the local Palos Verdes Peninsula Directory published by the Palos Verdes Hills Nursery School. The blue pages in the front highlight many local organizations that provide sports activities. To order a copy of this Directory, call (310) 375-1566. Also, the Peninsula News generally provides information about special sign-up dates. In addition, you may log onto www. pvsports.com for more information about children's sports opportunities on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

9. Q.) Does the City rent rooms for parties, meetings, etc.?
A.) Yes, rooms are currently available for rent at:
Hesse Park, (310) 541-8114
Ryan Park, (310) 377-2290
Ladera Linda Community Center, (310) 541-7073
Point Vicente Interpretive Center, (310) 377-5370

Click here for more information about Facility Rental.

10. Q.) May I get married on the bluffs overlooking the ocean?
A.) The following locations provide the opportunity to conduct outdoor weddings:
Point Vicente Interpretive Center, (310) 377-5370
Founders Park, (310) -303-3200
Wayfarers Chapel, (310) 377-1650
La Venta Inn in Palos Verdes Estates, (310) 373-0123
11. Q.) I am getting married at Wayfarers Chapel. Does the City have a room where I can hold my reception?
A.) For indoor receptions of up to 150 guests, call Hesse Park, (310) 541-8114 or Ladera Linda Community Center, (310) 541-7073. For indoor receptions of up to 100 guests or indoor/outdoor receptions for up to 150 guests, call the Point Vicente Interpretive Center, (310) 377-5370.
12. Q.) Are guided hikes available on the Palos Verdes Peninsula?
A.) The City’s volunteer docent organization, Los Serenos de Point Vicente, conducts hikes within the Forrestal Nature Preserve, along the public trails at Trump national, and at the tidepools at Abalone Cove Beach. For information or to schedule a docent-led tour, please call (310) 544-5264. Another excellent source for hikes and trail information is the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy; call (310) 541-7613 or click here at www.pvplc.org to go to their web site.
13.Q.Are barbecues available for use at any of the City’s park sites?
A.) Free-standing barbecues are available at Hesse Park and Ryan Park only.  Due to the high fire hazard on the Peninsula, barbecues are not allowed at any other park site, without prior written permission from the Recreation and Parks Department Director.
14.Q.) Can I reserve picnic areas and barbecues at one of the City’s parks?
A.) Picnic and barbecues may not be reserved at any of the City’s park sites; they are available to the public on a first-come, first-serve basis and all common areas must be shared with other park patrons.
15. Q.)May I reserve a baseball field or soccer field?
A.) Youth athletic organizations may reserve a field for scheduled use at Hesse Park, Ryan Park, and Ladera Linda Community Center. General usage is on a first-come, first-serve basis when youth athletic organizations do not have the field  reserved. .
17. Q.) Where may I go to watch the whales?
     A.) The Pacific Gray whale’s annual migration season from the frigid waters of the Arctic seas to the warm lagoons of Baja California can be seen from the Point Vicente Interpretive Center from December through April.  The Interpretive Center is a premier whale watching site. It is open to the public daily from 10 am to 5:00 pm, and the park grounds are open 9 am until dusk. Another ideal location is Fisherman’s Access located between the Point Vicente Lighthouse and Long Point (formerly Marineland; now called Terranea Resort). Commercial whale watch boats offer an up-close look at whales: for Redondo Sports Fishing in Redondo Beach, call (310) 372-2111 or for 22nd Street Landing in San Pedro, call (310) 832-8304.  Also, visit the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro to learn more about the whales, or call the aquarium at (310) 548-7562.
18. Q.).) How can I arrange for a tour of the Lighthouse?
A.) The United States Coast Guard operates the Point Vicente Lighthouse. The Coast Guard Auxiliary conducts regularly scheduled tours on the second Saturday of each month, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Call (310) 541-0334 for more information.
Recreation & Parks
Hikes and Tours
Contact Recreation & Parks
Submit a Comment
Join the Listserv